Confusing electronic gadgets

The debate about cell phone use caused me to question the wisdom of my BMW X-5 information system and controls. The ride has a million pieces of info, but all require knowing which button to push and then pushing it. I defy anyone to get in the car and know how to listen to the stereo without instructions or several minutes with the manual. For some its a moot point becuse 2 tin cans and a wire will get you better AM reception. All taking your eyes and mind off the road. My 2008 Civic has none of these problems. The controls are straight forward and the AM reception is great.

Ever since I-Drive came out in 2001 with the 7 series this criticism has been voiced.Since then BMW has included it in more and more models,they aren’t listening,or maybe making a statement"this is our product,take it or leave it"

You are correct you don’t just get in and intuitivly know how to operate systems.

I am not certain but I think there are some possibilites to opt-out of I-Drive,there are reports of some people liking the challenge of mastering it.

HELLO!? HELLO?! Is anybody there?! Is this a telephone or a computer console? HELLO? HELLO???

I’ve yet to read a review of an iDrive-equipped car that likes the iDrive. The latest version, with the addition of a number of buttons to reduce the need to use the knob, is supposed to be better. I talked to a 7-series owner who had nothing but bad things to say about it. Of course, there’s a fraction of the owners who say ‘I don’t have a problem, I love it!’ Unfortunately, the only BMWs you can get without it are the base level 3 series, I think.

The I Drive system would be one reason for me NOT to buy a BMW. It’s tech overload fo most drivers, and in my opinion a hazard. Most car testers did not like it either. Looking at a screen on the dash is too much distraction. When I use my GPS, I don’t even look at the screen once underway. I rely on the voice prompter to give directions.

Car makers like to tell us what we want in a car. With all the electronic distractions, it’s a good thing we don’t have to push a button to get the air bags to inflate. Imagine what would happen if stability control required us to push the right button. We just want to drive a car; we can buy our own toys.

Or the TV remote…hello ? hello ?

Yes I’ve noticed , and it irks me. You need to keep your eyes and mind on the road yet they make it increasingly dangerous to operate your vehicle because of too many gadgets.