COLOR CODED CAR QUESTIONS...When posted from the same geographic region as us "Car Guys"

Honda, you overreacted. I do not consider your posts to be convoluted or inane, but they’re hard to read when overly peppered with capitalized words. You’re clearly knowledgeable, and I hope you consider continuing out to posters with problems. I feel that posters’ locations should not be automatically identified by the website software out of respect for their privacy, but I support any posters’ choice to identify their location.

I hope you reconsider. You are very knowledgeable and have helped a lot of people.

See, I told you.

So, Mountainbike, what about others that pepper their posts with capitalized words?

So far JT, others have only used fully capitalized words sparingly when emphasis is necessary. I would hope they continue to. Overuse makes reading difficult.

But I’ll not waste everyone else’s time debating the issue. I’ve offered my input on he subjects involved, and now I’ll move on. I hope you do the same. I consider the capitalization issue closed. The original issue, having the software identify an OP’s location, is still open for debate.

At MikeNH I dont understand the line “Something like this is NOT that trivial to implement. It’s easy for - say people who live in Philly”

Where did I ever say that this made up feature was easy to implement? I have no clue what it would take and never made any mention of its ease of implementation in any way whatsoever…in fact I asked simply if it would be possible.

I don’t care about the feature anymore anyway, it was just a question about an idea to try and help people. I have reconsidered and wont be trying to reach out to anyone for the purpose of onsite help.

Just erase the post

Blackbird

Don.t give it much chance of happening,beings we cant get a general discussion forum,that would increase the participation manyfold on this forum,as for Me,I cannot see the colors of those little page numbers,either.

Honda - You asked if it was possible…and I just commented on the feasibility of implementing it if the feature isn’t already part of this forum…then it’s just a matter of turning it on. But I seriously doubt it’s a feature that just needs to be turned on. And writing a feature like this is no trivial task. And it seems like a lot of people don’t want it anyways.

Couldn’t our usernames include 2 lines instead of one, with the second line being optional and for the use of a general-or more specific- geographic area? Many other forums do this, and the second line could be as specific as “Main St. Wichita” or as generic as “Pacific Northwest.”

Geographic region might help…but too difficult to tell. I’ve implemented features like this before. I had to figure out of someone or something was within a 50 mile radius. Not too easy, unless you give specific location like town/state or zip-code.

Asemaster basically said it… Most other forums do have a line that says where the people are…perhaps being automatic or whatever was a mistake.

I just thought it would be helpful to know where people are hailing from thats all… Thats about it.

Blackbird

Some of the questions posted on this forum would be answered more efficiently if we knew the OP’s general location.
Like “my engine ticks when I start it on a cold morning” or “should I get studded tires”.
Sometimes it takes several posts to find out what the conditions are.

I think it’s a fine idea. It would inherently be opt-in, since you have to fill out where you are. If I put down what state I’m in, and someone needing help puts down what state he’s in, then we’re both agreeing to let people know what state we’re in. Most of us regulars are fairly open about where we live anyway, but if someone doesn’t want other people to know, they can leave the question blank.

As for the liability concerns if we go out to help posters, that’s between the two people who are meeting up over the broken car. There are some fairly basic steps people can take to minimize their exposure to liability, such as not accepting payment for the service, getting permission of the vehicle owner before, and every time you do anything at all to it (may I raise the hood? You ok if I pull this spark plug?), etc. If someone’s really paranoid about it, they can always bring along a liability waiver.

That said, anyone can be sued at any time for any reason. Some people make a career out of filing idiotic lawsuits that have no merit. I had a neighbor once who got sued by the neighborhood crank because she didn’t like the color of flowers he had planted in his front bed.

The only ways to completely eliminate exposure to lawsuit risks is to either die or live in complete isolation in a deserted wilderness with no contact with anyone else, ever.

For myself, I help people, strangers and otherwise, with their cars all the time. I’m not terribly worried about being sued over it. Dad was a lawyer, and I learned a few things from him and inherited a few character traits from him as well. If they sue me for being a nice guy I’ll make them deeply regret it in the countersuit, which will involve all sorts of debilitating emotional trauma and pain and suffering damages. >:)

And Blackbird, my fellow Hondaphile: Chill a little, bud. Your posting style is sometimes hard to read. I always chalked it up to over-caffeination. It’s not a big deal. No one’s making fun of you or thinking less of you about it - they just think you have valuable things to say and it’s easier to absorb those valuable things if they don’t look like a ransom note. :wink:

LOL…I hear ya Shadow. It could be Over-caffeination as the root cause, lol I dunno. Sometimes its exciting to be able to help someone out remotely and, or, save someone money in a world where all too often people do not help others and garages/mechanics get a bad rep for overcharging for the simplest of things or worse…No-thing. Anyway, I’m past the criticism, I honestly don’t really care if others need to try and bring me down, I should be used to it by now.

I will continue doing what I do…and helping whomever needs it. If I wind up under someones hood it wouldn’t be the first or the last time, I’m sure of that. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty and I don’t want to find myself not trying to help someone in need for fear of a lawsuit. If that day ever comes, I will simply stay inside and try to interact with the world through my computer console.

Blackbird

I don’t think we were concerned about liability issues but rather personal safety issues. We have had several instances here of people being killed or shot by people answering Craigslist ads for example. Its one thing to be referred to a store front shop but quite another to be told “where are you, I’ll be right over to help”.

True…very true. But this was all just to be able to see where someone was in general. Prior to possibly saying…hey if you are nearby…would you like me to take a looksie.

I think we could overthink this to death, but it was just an idea to possibly declare where you were geographically while you were having said car issue. After that…if someone offered another person a hand…it could be worked out between the two people if they wanted to do such a thing. Simple in concept, far reaching in implication I guess. I dunno… I’m fairly sorry I started this thread to begin with so… Whatev.

Blackbird

For what it’s worth, Blackbird, I’m not sorry you started it. We appreciated the idea.

Aww shucks, well thank you…Ma’am

Blackbird

I like the idea as well. I would want to help someone local to me and also wouldn’t mind if someone offered a helping hand or a visual diag/separate from my somewhat limited skills.

This is what helps DIYers greatly to become more competent DIYers in the future. I believe in the good samaritan defense, and believe strongly that most help can be defended upon that.

Even if that is not correct, I do not want to go thru society neglecting my skills and not offering them up. I wasn’t brought up that way, nor will i bring up my kids that way.

Blackbird, can’t remember if your name references the CBRXX of years ago, but if it does, I would say “sometimes in life, it is needed to twist the wrist and open up the throttle to remind yourself that you are still alive”. This suggestion is a good one!!

Can’t wait to finally ride my 636 Kawi this weekend. Cheers.

Thx Gdawgs… and yes…my handle here does reference a very menacing Black Machine in my garage :slight_smile:

Just curious. What year is the SAAB? Late 80s-early 90s? Turbo or normally aspirated 16 valve?
Just wonderin’…

That Saab was my 89’ Turbo 16V Cabriolet. What a beautiful car that was. I bought it from a very wealthy guy who used to take it to the dealership to have Air put into the tires. Its was garage kept and an absolute CHERRY. It was actually so nice that I sold it…it gave me anxiety to park it anywhere for fear of dings or dents.

I let my brother drive it while he was visiting from CO and he made a turn that basically wasnt there and drove it up a huge curb…Shattered the 16’ in Borbet wheels and caved in the back wheels so bad they hit the calipers on the way round again…He must have simply floored the accelerator in order to get it home… Ugh

I fixed her up with a set of custom “Viggen Style” 17’ in wheels n tires… I lowered the suspension about 1.5 inches and Removed the Original Equipment Saab “Red” APC Turbo Control Module…and modified a box on my own to provide 18lbs of Electronically controlled boost… I also added the lower Gray plastic panels that I removed from a Saab SPG as they weren’t available in 89 on the Cabrio…Saab offered them in like 94’ I believe? So mine has a 94’ SPG look to it. Man I never got more looks, comments or questions with any other vehicle than this white Saab.

This car was FAST, handled well and Beautiful. It sold well too… I miss her right now actually. There is No other convertible that offers a similar “Convertible experience” than a Saab. When that top was down it was the most “Open” feeling I have ever had in a vehicle.

Yeah…I still feel the car was actually “Too Nice” for me to own. I kept it in my garage and only used it on nice days/special occasions. I don’t need a vehicle that nice…Maybe when I’m even older than I am now will be when I could own something like that. Damnit I really miss her now…LOL

Blackbird