Clunking noises and car shakes

My car makes clunking, creaking noises going over the smallest bumps. Also, when I brake at speeds over 40, the whole car shakes. Have had the brakes done, all tires replaced and the struts checked. I’m worried about safety.

Well, despite missing details such as the model year and the odometer mileage of your Avalon, I am going to take a stab at this.

You tell us that you “had the brakes done”, but we need more details. Front & rear brakes, or just front, or just rear? Were the rotors replaced?

Was the front end checked for worn parts such as ball joints and tie rod ends?

The noises could be as simple as dry bushings or they could be the result of dangerously worn front end components. From here, we can’t tell you which is the problem.

The shaking while braking could result from the need to replace brake rotors, or it could also be the result of dangerously worn front end components.

In case the problems really are the result of badly worn front end components, you really need to get this car to a competent mechanic a.s.a.p. before you wind up in an accident. Please DO NOT take the car to Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, AAMCO, or any other chain operation unless you want to overpay for substandard repair work.