Clicking from rear axel

I am getting a light clicking from my rear Axel when coasting at a slow speed. It could be clicking at any speed but my car is to loud to hear it going down the road. I’m sorry I don’t have more details than this. Any thoughts in what to look for ?

You don’t have more details?

You don’t know the year, make, model, mileage, and drivetrain configuration (engine, AWD, FWD, RWD if options were available) of the vehicle?

Do you know why your car is so loud? Does it have a big V8 with aftermarket exhaust components or is the noise due to very high road noise?
Is it a 4-banger with a “fart can” muffler?

Have you made any modifications to the car?

Haha. I’m sorrysorry. Just getting used to this forum and didn’t know it doesn’t leave a signature. Have a 2000 Silverado 5.3 with no cats and a turn down about half length of truck. That’s why I can’t hear it going down the road. Rear wheel drive with 4wd. Also 33 in mickeythompson so it roars a little going down the road. 230000 miles.

What model Silverado? How many miles? How many miles have you had those 33" tires on it?

"turn down about half length of truck"
I’m unfamiliar with this terminology. Are these terms used to describe a two-part driveshaft with a carrier bearing?

You do know, I hope, that those 33"’ Mickey Thompson tires are extremely hard on your drivetrain. In addition to creating serious rolling resistance that your drivetrain has to overcome, lifting the truck to put these on creates greater angles on all your articulated powertrain joints. The more of an angle they have to transfer power under is the faster they wear… by a large margin. This is a common cause of prematurely worn U-joints, CV joints, ring & pinion sets, and even carrier bearings. Pinion bearings too. My guess is that you’ll find your problem in one of these.

Or you could have a stone stuck in one of your Mickey Thompsons.

@the same mountainbike-in another thread the OP says he has straight pipes from the headers that only go past the truck cab and then point down. I am just glad this clown does not live near me with the noise that has to make.

There is no lift on the truck. Turn down is a turn down exhaust pipe that runs half the length of the truck and cuts off. Was on truck when I bought it. New drive shaft and u joints. And have no carrier bearing. Its a single shaft. I’ll look into pinion bearings. Thanks

You might as well check everything under there while you’re under there.

It being a 4X4, you’ll have CV joints up front, and the added rolling resistance caused by the MT tires may have killed the joints. Sound often is misleading about where it’s coming from. Fifteen years would be acceptable life for a CV joint anyway, and with the added load of those tires the joints could easily be on the verge of coming apart.

New front CV joints as well. I have been through every part of this truck except the rear end.

If you replaced the U-joints, a needle bearing may have fallen over in the cup as you were installing it. This may have already eaten the rest of the bearings beyond usefulness.

Most…the cap will not press on far enough with a bearing tipped, but it is possible.

Yosemite

Cap wouldn’t press on if needle bearing fell over. And was very careful in installing them.

Drum or disc brakes on the rear? Maybe something in the brake mechanism if it’s drum.

Other possibilities could be a rock stuck in the tire tread (don’t laugh…), a nicked pinion or ring gear, or a problem in the spider gears in the differential.

At slow speed where you can hear the noise you might try depressing the brake pedal slightly and note if the noise changes or disappears.

I forgot something. Maybe this noise is related to a problem in the park brake shoes.

@“VOLVO V70”

I had a full sized Bronco (351W) with shorty headers and 2.5 inch straight pipes, no cats, no mufflers. I got complimented on it’s NASCAR-like sound quite often. Likewise my current daily driver (Mustang GT) has an off-road H pipe (no cats), and but it does have dual-chamber mufflers (Flowmaster Super 40’s), and I get compliments on it at car meets/shows/ Cars and Coffee.

I for one appreciate a the sound of a rumbling V8, and it’s not like people park right beside your home and rev their engines for hours on end.

“No carrier bearings” I’m puzzled.

I think the OP is referring to lack of a center driveshaft carrier bearing; or at least I would hope so.

No carrier bearings in the differential could certainly explain any noises… :smiley:

My youngest son used to have a late model Lincoln Aviator that developed a clicking in the rear end and the cause was the park brake shoes.

That’s what I think of when I hear “carrier bearings”.