Chrysler Conquest TSI 89

I’m new to the car world I’m only 17 years old and I would like to know what I’m getting into a little more. A wonderful friend of mine is selling me a Conquest. It has a few problems Like the head gasket blew on this car I heard it?s kind of common in these car?s sadly coolant has mixed with the oil and it seems to be running fine. I?m planning to flush out the whole engine it?s just I?m a little confused out this car I never see them around and would like just some ideas ! Also ^^;; I would like to see if what i’m paying for it is about right !

Has the head gasket been replaced???

If the head gasket was caught early enough and the repair was done correctly, the engine should be in decent condition. I would perform or have performed a compression check to verify the engine internal condition. At least put a vacuum gauge on it, if nothing else. If that test clears, then you should be okay.

In order to know if you’re paying a decent price, I’d need to know the price that you’re paying.

Reviews of this car say that the 3.3L engine is slow but the 3.5L is peppy. Being not much older than you (months, merely, if that), I know that no matter how much you try to tell yourself that it won’t matter… it will. =-/

Wait… I just realized something… what year is this?

-Matt

Head gasket leaks are bad news, if the coolant gets into the oil, it will displace the oil from the crank bearings and take out the bottom of the engine. It was a pretty nifty car in its time, but you’re looking at an 18 year old car with a turbo. Parts will be hard to get and probably expensive. I did a quick search on the internet and found plenty of Conquest/Starion links. Do some homework first before you make a final decision. More than likely the car is going to be a money pit unless you do your own wrenching.

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?srch=105&FORM=AS5&q=conquest+starion

Good luck,

Ed B.

My only advice is inquire on insurance cost for this car before considering purchase.