drive shaft is noisy at rolling idle

some shaft “binding” at slow speed

after approx 30 miles of driving

the noise is less with acceleration

no noise when stationary

I have removed the driveshaft

am now driving in front wheel drive only

all noise and binding is “no more”

what risk is there, if any, to the rear drive assembly, now that it is not driven by the shaft

Chrysler uses three terms to describe the entire rear drive assembly

power transfer unit

overrunning clutch

rear carrier

each of these components has a lube oil fill plug

regards, Jim in Pennsylvania

Is this a constant velocity shaft (double cardan joint)??

what risk is there, if any, to the rear drive assembly, now that it is not driven by the shaft

I would have no worries about the rear axle drive components. They’re driven by the road under them when you move.

My question would be how the transmission divides power/torque between the front and rear axles. That inter-axle differential has nothing to transmit power to. I don’t know the system, but if there’s no problem with your u-joints, this mechanism is probably the source of your issues (you may have figured as much - hence the short question).

Can I assume that this has a flange mount and you’re not leaving some sleeved slip joint open to leak fluid (I suspect you would have seen and figured this out)??

Have you checked the fluid in the over running clutch and the power transfer units?

If you are talking about a day or two until you get a new drive shaft, or get the U joints replaced in the current drive shaft? Probably no harm.

If you are talking about permanently driving in FWD only. That is taking a chance. If you ever feel like going back to AWD you micht as well get it fixed and put back together sooner, rather than later.

The transfer case is important to AWD and expensive to replace. That’s the part of the system I’d be concerned about.

This is what sends many “AWD” vehicles to the salvage yard…Yes, in the picture you provided, that is a “open” CV joint. It should move freely in all directions without any binding or slop in the joint…Don’t overlook the “ball & socket” joint between the two standard trunnions that keep the joint lined up.

Since your vehicle is PRIMARILY a front wheel drive, removing the driveshaft to the secondary rear wheels should not cause any problems with the AWD system. That is unless there are ALREADY problems not related to the driveshaft…