Choosing a car

I AM CONSIDERING:

2001 AUDI ALLROAD WITH 120K

2001 RANGE ROVER WITH 87K

2003 SAAB WAGON WITH 93K

2001 AUDI A6 QUATRO WAGON

2001 PASSATT WAGON

I NEED GUIDANCE ABOUT WHICH YOU WOULD RECOMMEND. THEY ARE ALL ABOUT THE SAME PRICE AND I HAVE BEEN DRIVING A VOLVO 1990 V70 WAGON THAT IS DYING AND I AM GOING TO TRADE IN. WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE. THANK YOU. I KNOW…THE ROVER GETS BAD REVIEWS BUT I LIKE HOW MUCH ROOM IT HAS. WOULD THIS BE A BIG MISTAKE FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS? THANK YOU. PLEASE ADVISE.

Everything on your list are all models I would avoid…Money-pits waiting to bankrupt you, These all look like $2500 cars to me but I bet the owners are asking considerably more than that for them…

None of the above!

Did you pick this list from the “most expensive to keep on the road” list? These will all cost a lot to keep going compared to cars made by American, Japanese, or Korean companies.

I have to agree with all of the preceding posts.
If you were trying to assemble a list of the least-reliable, most-expensive-to-maintain-and-repair vehicles, then you did an excellent job!

As was already stated, if you want reliability and less expensive maintenance and repairs, you should eliminate all European vehicles from your list, and try to focus on vehicles made in Japan, Korea, and the US.

I have been driving a volvo and when I drive the 10 year old American versions they feel chintzy. Would you recommend another volvo?

Nope!
Volvos fit the typical European pattern of nice, luxurious vehicles that should be sold or traded in as soon as the original factory warranty expires.

The cost of maintenance and repairs on all European vehicles is far higher than that of Japanese, Korean, and US-made vehicles.

okay…okay…but if I was going to buy European what is the least painful for you to recommend.

Hmmm…most likely I would pick the Saab, but that is just the best of a bad bunch.

Thank you…

This was an unusual post. The list of candidates was a veritable automotive “Hall of Shame” and the poster reports to be currently driving a 1990 V70 Wagon. ??? The V70 was not introduced until the late 90s.

…perhaps this is another April Fool thread that was posted a little too late?

If these were the very last cars left in the world, and I was edsperate, I’d choose the Saab.

No, wait…on second thought, I’d rather shoot myself!

These are all bad choices.

If I had the money, I would buy them all and park them in here -

Seconded. They’re all unreliable, especially at that mileage.

I believe you already have good car advice, but if I may, I suggest that using ALL CAPS makes you message harder to read.  That is why you will not see your newspaper using ALL CAPS.  If you message is harder to read fewer people will bother reading it.

While I doubt if you choices would be my first choice, I am not as sure as some others that any of them would be terrible.  

Good Luck with your choice.

You have a talent for picking bottom feeders when it pertains to operating costs and reliability. Perhaps driving a Volvo now has made you you unaware as to how inexpensive and reliable other cars can be. Otherwise, I believe you are a late with an April Fools joke.

None of the above are recommended. The SAAB will have parts supply problems, since it is a real orphan in the US market.

The main thing in a 10 year old car is to find one that has been well maintained. If you find one, even from this list, where the owner has all the maintenance and repair receipts, it might be worth a shot. What about a Mazda Protege wagon or a Lexus IS 300 wagon?

what’s your budget?
Are you comfortable with having maintenance/repairs bills costing more than you spent on the car itself?

A few Volvo’s make the reliable/decent used cars list for Consumer Reports:

Forget the Range Rover they are real money pits.