China's imitation Corvette

All the US companies I’m aware of are seriously involved in protecting intellectual property. The contract I work on for a third party provides blanket protection for suppliers, but the suppliers still insist that my company execute non-disclosure agreements.

Both of the cars they tested were mainly panned for their transmissions

I’m sure Chinese officials despise very idea of buying any foreign products. Japan being #1. They hate all Asian neighbors. China has cheap labor. They copy foreign designs and sell to their citizens. Building up auto industry for world export/domination is not on their short term plans.

… as did the Japanese auto industry, for many years.
Once they figured out how to improve both their quality and their production volume, they finally began to innovate–rather than to copy–and then their incursion into foreign markets began.

That’s funny. It’s damn near IMPOSSIBLE to impose paten infringements on a company in a foreign country unless that company does business in the US - at which point you can sue them in a US court. Our company gave up trying. You need to get the State Department involved to successfully sue a company on patent infringement that does NOT do business in the US. Good luck with that.

2 Likes

No kidding, sherlock.

Guess we should just let “them” continue bleed us dry.

Your antagonistic attitude towards someone who cares about the problem IS the problem.

Do you stare at the sky when it rains?

Reading Comprehension Problem?

I NEVER EVER said I wasn’t against this practice. I’m pointing out the reality of the situation. I’m software director of a small telecom company and we do a LOT of business with foreign companies. In the past 20+ years we’ve had numerous patents STOLEN from us. We’ve sued several times in their courts…and lost every single time. It cost us MILLIONS. If you have a VALID SOLUTION then please let me know and I’ll pass it along to our legal department.

For the past 4 years, the US has been going after China essentially as a lone player, following the alienation of so many of our long-term allies, and that strategy clearly accomplished very little. The new administration plans to re-establish alliances with our traditional foreign friends in order to bring much greater pressure on China in regard to Intellectual Properties.
Will that strategy work?
At this point, nobody knows, but it’s definitely worth an attempt at a united front to counter Chinese gov’t-sponsored theft of IP.

1 Like

It’s possible that the issue wasn’t the fact of vertical bars but that there were either 7 of them or that they created 7 separate openings. Jeep has always had 7 bars specifically because they denote the 7 continents on which Jeeps have been used.

l worked for the International Trade Administration at the US Department of Commerce. Intellectual property theft is usually the biggest concern companies have when doing business with, or in, China. Whether they export products there, or build their product there there are problems. The Chinese reverse engineer stuff imported to their country; copy manufacturer’s manufacturing plant plans submitted to building permitting authorities, insist on co-ownership of plants and equipment, load spyware on company computers and phones, follow company officials around, and monitor all company officials phone and internet activity. When we sent trade missions there, all phones and computers came back infected with spyware, despite air-gaping. It is so bad that computers are set aside for use only in China because US IT officials can’t be sure that wiping them is effective. Why do companies want to do business in China? Because the market is so friggin big, they feel that it can’t be ignored. I agree only that the market can’t be ignored. I came to believe that doing business in China would be hazardous to your company in the long term, they didn’t allow you in unless there was something in it for China… meaning China puts up with you today, so they will make what you make in the future.