Chevy Blazer dying; need help!

I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer and it’s been dying on me. It only has 60,000 miles on it! I am so disappointed. Here’s the situation.

1. It first died after driving about one hour on the highway at 70mph. While it was coasting, I put it in neutral and restarted it. It restarted with no problems. The engine light came on right before it died, but no warning lights have come on since. The engine light has never come on again.

2. Now, my Blazer dies after I drive it for about ten minutes. I put it in park and then wait about 30 seconds and it just dies.

3. While I am driving it, it makes a very strange sound. It reminds me of the noise that you hear at car shops when they are removing tires. Kind of an electrical zzzz…zzzzz sound.

So we have taken our car to three different repair places in the following order.

1. Chevy dealer - wanted to replace lower intake gasket, valve cooler gasket, lifters, water pump. Estimated cost: $2000. I thought the estimate was too high and did not trust the dealership so we left. We paid $70 for the estimate.

2. Small Local repair shop - For $206, they replaced the belt tensioner, fuel filter, 1 head gasket chemical, and changed the oil. This did not repair the problem. But this shop ruled out the water pump that the Chevy dealer wanted to replace.

3. Larger chain repair shop - We went to this third shop, after the car started dying after 10 minutes of driving and putting it in park. Now, it makes the weird sound that makes me afraid to drive it. This shop wanted to replace the control module and ignition coil for $580.00. (Diagnostics run by this shop and the Chevy dealer did not reveal anything.)

Can someone please, please help me??? I can’t afford to put any more money into this car unless absolutely necessary.

What do you think is wrong? Is it the control module and ignition coil? Is $580 a fair price?

Thank you in advance for your help! I appreciate your time.

Anyone? :slight_smile:

Thanks!!

The engine light came on right before it died

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.

These trucks had one real weak point, and that was the fuel pump. That would be my number one guess. The sound you hear is it a wine?? Does it make the noise when you turn the truck to the on position (not start)?? I would have some one check that out as it sounds as if that could be your problem form the info you have given

I forgot to mention that repair shops 2 and 3 ruled out the fuel pump. But you are right, I have read how the fuel pump is a problem in the Chevy. I will also look more into the diagnostics. Many thanks!!

Does anyone think the problem is the control module and ignition coil?