1998 Blazer dies

I have a 1998 Blazer with 111,000 miles on it that periodically dies when the outside temperature is above 80 degrees. If I let it sit for a few minutes it will start right up and will run for another 5 to 10 miles then die again. The service department at my Chevy dealer cannot find anything wrong with it. Help!!!

I worked for 31 years on high tech military and commercial avionics/electronics. Anything electronic can fail hot or cold, though in recent years quality control has reduced the frequency of the failures. On my 2002 Toyota Sienna, the “installed at port” TRW alarm fails hot when the car is parked outside, for example.

When that alarm fails, sometimes it prevents the car from starting and I have to play with the remote for a few minutes to get it to bust loose. It never fails in the north in the winter.

It is possible engine computer could have a failure hot. It is possible the spark system could have a failure hot. Fuel injection cars don’t have vapor lock, do they?

I can see with no CEL light, no OBDII codes this could be hard to find.

Oh, man, I bet this is really frustrating! Wish I had some great ideas.

The fault may or may not be electrical.

The next time it fails, remove the air filter and spray in a bit of starting fluid (ether).

If it fires up, runs for a few seconds then quits, it’s likely a fuel supply fault.

JMHO but I suspect you have a faulty fuel pump or a faulty fuel pump relay.

Make sure the air and fuel filters are clean.

I agree with Roadrunner. I had the same vehicle and it acted like what you describe for awhile before the fuel pump failed. It went out at right around 120k miles for me.

I also agree with Roadrunner’s good advice. The same thoughts came to me as I read your post. If it looks to be a fuel problem you could try replacing the fuel pump relay to see if that helps or check the voltage after it to see if it is working as it should be when the trouble is occurring.