Checking your car

I finally have a car that overall is in pretty good condition. Unlike my previous car where I had to monitor it’s daily operations, I was wondering, now with a car in good operating condition, how often should I check the following during the summer months:

1. Oil
  2. Trans fluid
  3. Brake fluid
  4. Radiator fluid
  5. Tire presure

I presently own a 2001 Kia Sedona mini van with about 140,000 miles on it. I purchased it with 134,000 miles on it back last Aug. Since then I have had the oil changed twice and the trans fluid drained and replaced. I had to have a new starter installed and an alignment done and in two weeks will have both belts replaced. Overall inspection by dealership is that everything seems fine given age and milage. Only other thing I need to have done is removal of the cooling lines to the back heater as they are rusting away and will have that done this summer.

You can start out by checking everything once a month. Soon you will learn which items show no change at all over time, and which need closer vigilance.

Oil level is important. Check often. The rest, if your vehicle is in good condition, may only need to be checked every six months or so, or before starting out on a long trip.

1. Oil
2. Trans fluid
3. Brake fluid
4. Radiator fluid
5. Tire presure

1. Power Steering Fluid
  2. Windshield Washer Fluid

Do you always park on pavement ?

Everyday, as the cars leave their parking spots, I check for drips or puddles. My whole family is trained to monitor the driveway. I’ve got several sets of eyes helping. We don’t go out of our way doing this.

Here’s what I do, even with our new cars. Religiously once a week with the car sitting cold, I pop the hood and top off the winshield washer juice. I check the coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid visually, by looking through the translucent resevoirs. I always pull the oil dipstick up enough to read the level, without removing it from the tube, no need to wipe it.

The whole weekly procedure takes just minutes and I’ve got seven cars with at least four or five driven daily.

Once a month I check and inflate tires as needed and check transmission fluid.

Even though a car does not consume any fluids, it doesn’t mean a problem can’t develop and a regular check can catch any developing problem before it becomes major.

CSA

I check oil & radiator every time I fill up. (once a week normally) Tranny fluid monthly. Brake fluid at oil changes(3-4 times a year). Tires once a month. If heading out on a road trip they all get checked before leaving, regardless of when they were last checked.

Due to my previous car issues I by habit always look under the van each morning when I head out to see if there is anything on the ground.

When checking trans, I do my best to do it after I have driven a few miles or after returning from work.