Checking transmission fluid without burning arm

Yes and no . . .

your fingers won’t get burnt, but your forearm itself might, unless those gloves are somehow so long, that they go all the way up to the elbow

How could you possibly know that without ever having seen the OP’s car or the welding gloves I referenced? Are you clairvoyant?

Your transmission should be checked with the engine running and the car driven8 miles or more. Just running the engine doesn’t really get the transmission hot enough. I have never suffered your problem, I guess my skin isn’t sensitive enough.

I’m speaking from personal experiences . . .

There have been instances where those welding-type gloves were not long enough to prevent my arms from getting burnt

Check it cold and guesstimate a small amount for fluid expansion.

I always check my transmission fluid after the engine gets hot…the first time. I then check it cold the next day. I have found that very little fluid expansion occurs as it relates to the dipstick. I check it cold from there on out. My dad used to check his transmission fluid by simply looking at the dipstick reading with the engine off. My uncle does the same.

1 Like

with a cold car, the fluid level will be at the lowest mark on dipstick. if you can see it, than you are at least in the range of safe? if nothing is on the dipstick, than you have issues. you are not going to change your life for 1/2 pint low are you?

I don’t know…here’s the procedure for a '06-'07 Civic. I’d expect Accords to be the same (OP?):

How am I supposed to know if they radiator fan comes on once or twice like it says in that manual page you posted?

This assumes you start with a cold engine (or at least one which has been cooling for, say, 15 minutes or more) and observe it.

When I had a car with a dipstick, putting an old sock over my hand and forearm worked.

How long does that usually take?

Don’t know…I’ve never done it.