Check Fuel Inlet Light/Ford Fusion

We are making to from TX to NY. The check fuel inlet light went on. Should we be concerned? What does this mean?

Thx

CHECK FUEL FILL INLET — Displayed when the fuel fill inlet may not be properly closed. Refer to Easy Fuel “no cap” fuel system in the Maintenance and Specifications chapter
If the check fuel fill inlet lamp or CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message comes on, the fuel fill inlet may not have properly closed. The inlet may have stuck open or debris may be preventing the inlet from fully closing. At the next opportunity, safely pull off the road, turn off the engine, open the fuel filler door and remove any visible debris from the fuel fill opening. Insert either the fuel fill nozzle or the fuel fill funnel (see Refilling with a portable fuel container for funnel location) provided with the vehicle several times to dislodge any debris and/or allow the inlet to close properly. If this action corrects the problem, the check fuel fill inlet lamp or CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message may not reset immediately. It may take several driving cycles for the check fuel fill inlet lamp or CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message to turn off. A driving cycle consists of an engine start-up (after four or more hours with the engine off) followed by city/highway driving. Continuing to drive with the check fuel fill inlet lamp or CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message on may cause the service engine soon lamp to turn on as well. WARNING: The fuel system may be under pressure. If you hear a hissing sound near the fuel filler door (Easy Fuel “no cap” fuel system), do not refuel until the sound stops. Otherwise, fuel may spray out, which could cause serious personal injury.

It’s right in the owners manual.

Thanks for the quick response. Is this something that can wait until we reach our destination? We’ll be in NY in about 5 hours.

Continuing to drive with the check fuel fill inlet lamp or CHECK FUEL FILL INLET message on may cause the service engine soon lamp to turn on as well.

I would just stop at a convenient gas station and try the remedies in the manual.

Where in the manual would it be located?

In the instrument cluster section and in the maintenance and specifications section. I did a word for word copy and paste above.

I found it. It says to fill up the car with a portable fuel container. Where can I get one?

Thanks again for your help.

NO it says use either a fill nozzle (which I presume means the fuel pump nozzle) which is why I suggested a gas station, or the fuel filler funnel. Apparently there is a funnel located in the car and to see the “filling fuel from a portable container section in the manual” for it’s location. I don’t know the year of your car and have been referring to an 2012 manual I found online

"I found it. It says to fill up the car with a portable fuel container. Where can I get one? "

A GAS CAN!!!

Just stop at a statiom and top off the tank. Firxt make sure no forign object is inside the door. Then put the nozzle in and top off the tank. When you finish work the nozzle in and out a few times to free up the little flapper that closes inside the filler tube.

It’s a known problem. Watch this video: