Check Engine Trouble

Hello, my car is driving me nuts! My car has been running rough and mechanic said it was the motor mounts. Makes sense because when I put it in neutral the car stops vibrating somewhat. When driving my check engine light came on. I drove maybe 2 miles, and it went out. I managed to drive 530 miles, and it popped on again. Same thing, it went out after about 2 miles. Both times, the car ran very rough when the light popped on. I did bring it to the mechanic and he said there was no code. Don’t the code to get stored in the history? It’s crazy because I’ve spent a fortune replacing coils and wires and plugs. The coil went bad three times. The last repair has lasted me over 3000 miles so far. Is anyone out there familiar with any of this? Can’t take this car anymore😫
Greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

You want to see if there are any history codes or pending codes.

Tester

1 Like

Clearly you need a better mechanic.

4 Likes

I want to see the code that went off twice. It’s the same symptoms both times. I thought the codes stay on the car computer? The light is currently off.

Well, my regular mechanic closed up. I went to a guy near my job. He did check for a code but said it wasn’t showing anything. I believe it should be stored somewhere, no?

Those would be history or pending codes.

Are you sure your mechanic has a scanner that can retrieve these codes?

Tester

I guess he doesn’t. I did ask about the history. He said nothing was there. Not much help lol. I guess maybe I could try pep boys tomorrow. I’d really like to figure out what’s wrong and get the problem addressed.

Avoid franchise places like Pep Boys!
That’s one of the worst places to go.
Check the “repair shops” button at the top of this page, or on yelp.com for a highly rated independent shop near you.

2 Likes

Rather than using a mechanic that isn’t equipped to read code history, or franchise shops, I think your best choice is to buy your own low-end (inexpensive) scan tool and then you can read the code next time the light turns on. when the CEL turns on a code is stored, but is moved to the history section of the computer’s memory if the problem goes away. Inexpensive scan tools often cannot access the history section of the memory. But even a cheapo scan tool is able to access the current diagnostic code section.

Thank you, It went out too quickly for me to check. The car did run rough so I know it’s not a faulty light. I’ll stop in at a repair shop to check out. So odd it corrected itself twice but 530 miles apart. The car actually runs better after it happens. Time for a new car lol.

I basically just want to get the code. Not repaired just yet. I do a lot of driving and I’m afraid I’ll get stuck. I was hoping someone experienced this. I’m sick of car issues.

No. A pending fault can illuminate the check engine light but if the problem does not occur during the next “trip”, the data if not saved. A 2-trip fault, misfire for example, needs to have the problem to occur during 2 consecutive trips to become a “current” fault. If a pending fault is not confirmed on trip # 2, it goes away.

If there is not data saved in the powertrain computer, it makes no difference which diagnostic scan tool is used.

Thank you, that’s not good lol. I have to make a 4 hour trip on Saturday and afraid I’ll get stuck. When something similar happened my coil went. But the car barely drove and the light stayed on. So frustrating. Thanks again.

As mentioned above, maybe you want to get your own reader. I have this one in each car, which have worked fine the few times I actually used them:

AutoZone parts???

Thank you, I’ll check into that.

Advance auto-I was away from home when it happened. They replaced one ignition coil. Drove 6 miles and it went bad. Replaced again along with spark plugs. Drive 600 miles and it went again. Now, I was home and went to my mechanic. He replaced all 3 coils. He orders better parts than advance auto. That too went bad at about 1,000 miles. Mechanic replaced for free but said I’ll have to get the actual Hyundai part if it happens again. I just went to a repair shop and they said the code was a #2 misfire. I’ve spent 100’s on this issue. I’m so upset. My mechanic closed up shop so now I’m at a loss. What would make the coils constantly go bad? Crazy!

A misfire in cylinder #2 can be caused by other things besides a bad coil.

Like a dirty fuel injector.

A cheap thing I would try is add a can Seafoam to the gas tank the next time you fill up.

Tester

1 Like

Replacing an ignition coil each time is not solving the problem. What year is this car? Direct fuel injection?

It’s an 05 sonata. I don’t know about the fuel injector. I guess I’m going to have to pay another small fortune to have someone look at the plugs etc. is it possible that the after market parts are just no good?