2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade

I own a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade. After a recent trip to Virgina the “check engine light” came on. I checked the gas cap and it was loose. I tightened it until it “clicked”, but the light didn’t go off. My wife drove the car for about 2 days and the light still didn’t go off. The other day I took the gas cap off again and cleaned around the opening. I then tightened the cap back. The light went off. My wife drove to work ( apprx 5 miles) then on the way back came back on! I repeated everything i did previously again and it didn’t work. I really don’t want to take it to a show because the dealer is a considerable distance away. Any ideas?

I apologize for the spelling error. I didn’t want to take it to a dealer not a show. It hasn’t been that good to me :slight_smile:

I’m confused. What is a “show”?

Listen, there are countless things that can make the Check Engine Light go off. The only way to begin to troubleshoot yours is to have the fault codes read. Many parts stores will do this for free.

But, frankly, if you don’t plan to do the work yourself the best thing is to let the shop that you plan to use read the codes and do the diagnosis from there.

Mr. Know Nothing, Go To An Autozone Or Advance Auto Parts Or Other Parts Store That Reads Codes For Free.

Have an employee plug into your jeep with a code reader/scanner.

Write down the exact code(s) and post them here. They should be in the form: “PO123”, for example. Let’s see what it’s telling you.

CSA

“show” = shop?

The code is P0441 … emission flow? Would this be the gas cap?

Here’s A Link To Some Information.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441

CSA

I took it to Advance Auto today and had them scan and get the code (posted in earlier reply). I had them erase the code and hasn’t came back. It’s okay to wait until the light comes back on right?