Check engine light

Recently the check engine light came on in my 2001 Toyota Echo. I took it to the garage today and they said it was running lean, but they couldn’t find anything wrong. The re-set the light and said I could come pick it up. As soon as I turned it on the check engine light was back on. What gives? Should I give them a second chance? Should they charge me the diagnostic fee again?

No. Take it to someone who can pull the codes, and then determine what conditions causes that code.

Tester

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P1234) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Take it back. A reputable shop would never charge for a 2nd visit shortly thereafter. Eg a week or few weeks or so. I would have immediately have informed it was on if they were still open and rescheduled.

Sounds good. I will take it back. I did immediately drive back into the garage and tell them the light was back on, so we are rescheduled. Just not sure they’ll find anything they didn’t find before…