Check engine light on

The check engine light is on, mechanic has reset set it and it is on again the next day. We are unable to find the cause**@@%%%## OK I am old enough, and inept enough, to think I will kill the car if I countiue to drive that way. Also there is the “cry wolf” factor. I would like the light to be a true indicator, not a decoration. Thanks for any help you can give.

The check engine light is on for a reason. There is a trouble code stored in the computer. The code will help determine the cause. Post the code or codes here, and many on this board can help you determine a cause. The code will be in the form of P0130.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Edit: It would be a big help if with the codes you could tell us what make model and year car you have along with the miles and any history of problems.

Not all CEL are major issues. It also indicates things which will not harm the car, but may not comply with clean air laws, for example. That is why one needs the exact number or numbers.

On my car, even a bad spark plug that I can’t tell when I am driving, will turn on the CEL.

take it to a dealer have them put it on the computer and check it

No - don’t take it to a dealer. Look at J Meehan’s post and get them read for FREE at an auto parts store.

Thank you so much. I will find someplace that can read the codes,get that information and act on it. Your time and help are appreciated. Gillian Wheelock

Thank you so much for your time and information. My last car, Toyota Camery 1986 vintage did not habve a computer. I drove that car for 22 years and would be doing so still had it not been stolen and wrecked. Hopefully my current Toyota will be going strong in 2022!