Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

Check engine light on toyota camry 2001

I took my car to autozone and the code was for evaporation with exhaust system

emissions. Showed possiblilty of 3 things

should I go to the dealer or look for independent mechanic. Money is an issue

If you want some advice you need to post the exact codes - they look like P1234

You do not need a dealer. An independent will likely be much less expensive, less likely to spend time trying to sell you things you don’t need and can handle most any problem as well if not better.

I agree with cigroller. We need the specific codes.

Incidentally, I believe that you will find that the codes have something to do with the evaporative emissions system, which controls vapors from the gas tank. If that proves to be the case, this has nothing to do with your exhaust system.

With any luck, you might just need a new gas cap.
If you are really unlucky, or if you are in the habit of “topping off” the gas tank, you may need a new carbon canister.
Or, it could be something else entirely.

Please come back and post the codes for some specific advice.