Check engine light lean code

I was driving home the other night and noticed the check engine light came on. Dropped car off at dealer the next day. They ran diagnostics I and was told that the car was running lean but that they were unable to diagnose problem and further testing was necessary. The next day I was told they checked fuel pressure, valves, Maf sensor and ethanol levels in gas. They were all within specs. At that point I was told that it was either an air fuel sensor or bad fuel injectors. They also stated that further examination would be required to determine which one was the problem. I was quoted over $900 for a new air fuel sensor and over $1500 for fuel injectors. It sounded a little steep to me. I have had other issues in the past at the same dealership where they have misdiagnosed a problem. They installed an intake manifold when the problem was a loose spark plug. My vehicle is a 2013 Honda Fit. My question is should I take it to an independent mechanic for a second opinion and a possible lower price on the repair. Thanks.

Iemphasized text

So?

You don’t have any of the DTC codes?

Tester

Easy question . Yes , you should .

5 Likes

They have dtc P01471 on the paperwork. I cannot find that code so I assume he typed it in incorrectly.

Most likely it was P0171 or P0174, which are lean codes

Whoever did that needs to hone their diagnostic skills . . . it wasted a lot of your money

Yes, you should get another opinion. The independent shop’s labor rate will be lower, but not drastically lower, and the parts charge will also be moderately lower

is your car a flexible-fuel vehicle?

I see at least 2 problems with this . . . blaming the air/fuel ratio sensor is most likely a case of shooting the messenger. It signals that whoever’s diagnosing the car probably doesn’t understand how things work. It’s as simple as that. And $1500 for injectors means they’re planning on replacing all 4 injectors in an act of desperation. If they were indeed “unable to diagnose the problem” then they shouldn’t be saying it’s necessary to replace all these parts.

3 Likes

Yeah I figured the actual code was P01471. The intake manifold was covered by the warranty. Two years after the loose spark plug issue, the same plug blew and a whole new cylinder head had be installed . Honda did a goodwill repair covering 90 percent of it. The only reason I went back to the same dealer is that I thought maybe this issue was related to the blown plug. My car is not a flex fuel vehicle. I think the mechanic is lazy and due to the dealership being in an affluent area they get away with overcharging and unnecessary repairs.

It’s more likely the dealership has employed a bunch of inexperienced and/or incompetent mechanics

the dealership’s not always the best place to go for an accurate diagnosis and repair

New car dealerships have business relationships with certain schools, which blatantly serve as feeder programs. Once they graduate, they’re locked into contracts to work for the dealerships for x number of years.

It goes without saying that a 20-year old kid is probably not as sharp or accurate as a guy who’s been at it for 20 years or more

I might be tempted to run a smoke test and see if there are any air leaks since an intake manifold change was done.

Was that intake manifold job somewhat recent?

1 Like