Check Engine Light in a 1997 Lincoln Town Car

We had an accident three years ago in which the right rear wheel was destroyed and the axle bent. They were replaced. . Shortly afterwards the check engine light (emission leak) came on. My local mechanic thought he found and repaired the problem. It came on again. We changed the gas cap. No help. The local Lincoln dealer did a smoke test and decided the problem is the SOLENOID ASSEMBLY CANISTER VENT. But the part is obsolete. An after market part did not solve the problem and neither did a used part the dealer installed. The car operates normally but I won’t be able to pass inspection. Ideas?

Junkyard parts? Get three or four and try them.

Or, maybe the problem is misdiagnosed.

The local Lincoln dealer did a smoke test and decided the problem is the SOLENOID ASSEMBLY CANISTER VENT. But the part is obsolete.

?? You can find the genuine Motorcraft vent solenoids right here: http://www.fordparts.com/

I’d provide a direct link but you didn’t say which engine (6 or 8 cyl).

There’s a Ford parts expert who is a regular here. If he comes by he can likely clear it up but he’d also need to know which engine it is.

I will say, however, that I am skeptical of the diagnosis. Its not a complicated part and there is no reason to think that an aftermarket version won’t work. Chances are they are just wrong about the problem.

Can you report the specific error code(s) that are showing? (format: P1234)

Its probably a good idea to find a local independent mechanic rather than using the dealer.

1. The engine is 4.6 LITER_EFI_SOH
    2.Before deciding the problem is the solenoid vent the dealer said it was the EVAP CANISTER PURGE VALVE. When I told them the pictures of the purge valve were very different than the actual old part, they changed the description to the solenoid vent and are trying to get one.
  2. My local mechanic was the one to suggest the dealer do a smoke test because he doesn’t have that equipment.
    4.The specific error code is always:P0455

I’m not clear on why a P0455 - which is a gross leak in the evap system - would have anyone looking to replace the vent solenoid. Perhaps you could find someone else that can provide a smoke test? Its also the case that sometimes gross leaks can just be found visually.

Basically you have a system of vacuum lines that carry & store your gas fumes. When the car is running they are put through the engine to be burned. I don’t know the specifics on this car, but often the car puts that system under vacuum to check it for leaks. It turns on that kind of code when the system won’t take/hold a vacuum. So this just points to a leak - a broken, split, disconnected evap system hose.

“Can you report the specific error code(s) that are showing? (format: P1234)”

I thin