Check engine light

I have a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL. In late December, the check engine light came on (steady, not flashing). I took it to a local mechanic, as the nearest Ford dealership is a 45-minute drive away. He said an evap code came up indicating that there was a problem with the vent valve solenoid, not the capless fuel filler. However, he did not have the diagnostics to research it further.

As there have been problems with the vent valve solenoid, including a recall (for which we do not qualify), my husband bought and installed the part on Jan. 7. We both drove it several times since then, and the check engine light stayed off. But when I drove it today (Jan. 11), the light was back on.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? I suspect I will have to drive to the Ford dealership, but I would like to have some idea of the range of problems I might expect before I make that trip.

Thanks!

Well?

We would need to know what code was stored before the vent solenoid was replaced, and what code is stored after the vent solenoid was was replaced.

The code that’s stored now causing the Check Engine light to come on might not have anything to do with the vent solenoid.

Tester

Thanks for the feedback. The mechanic didn’t give me the code, just told me it was the vent valve solenoid code and not the capless fuel filler code. Since the local mechanic admitted he is limited on the diagnostics for this car, I think I’ll have to go to the Ford dealership. Strangely, we had this problem with our Alero, and it was never resolved even after replacing the fuel cap and the vent valve solenoid, plus having it checked over by several different mechanics. The car ran fine. It had other issues, but its driving ability was never hindered, yet the check engine light stayed on. That was a mystery we never got solved.

Evap valve diagnostic codes are a pretty common problems reported here, not just on Fords but many makes & models. Cars are complicated enough these days that the diagnostic code often doesn’t point to the exact thing that needs to be replaced. The code just gives the shop a clue where to start looking. No harm done other than to your wallet to replace it, but I expect you need to go to a shop with a Ford scan tool. Most of the better shops will have one, not necessary to use a dealer for this.

Any chance this is covered under the vehicle’s emissions warranty . . . ?

No, sadly we are past the warranty stage for this vehicle. As for who would have the Ford scan tool, we live in a small rural town. That’s why the mechanic we see here, who is quite good, is somewhat limited in terms of diagnostic equipment. That means I will end up having to drive somewhere. Might as well be the Ford dealership.

Look in your manual, emissions warranties are longer than your initial car warranty.

We bought the vehicle pre-owned, so I’m pretty certain it is no longer under warranty. But I could be wrong.

Also, I used the wrong term initially. My husband replaced the purge valve solenoid.

We bought the vehicle pre-owned...

After you bought it, was it “post-owned”?

;-]

HA! Amazing the way marketers try to downplay some plain english words…

used
optional
(all I can think of now)

If you are interested, here’s how it all works

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/294

Thanks for the maintenance and linguistics suggestions, LOL!

Update: Interestingly enough, the check engine light went back off last Thursday. However, as I’d already made an appointment at the dealership, I kept it and went today, to at least see what the code(s) said. The code that came up is P0451, indicating an evap system leak. They told me the specific problem is the fuel tank pressure sensor, which will need to be replaced.

That is a pretty specific diagnosis, hopefully it is a diy job.

Nope, sadly I think it’s something the dealership will have to install.

The only emission control components that are warranted for 8 years/80,000 miles are the catalytic converter(s) and emission control computer(s).

All other emission control components are only warranted for 2 years/24,000 miles.

Tester

Correct, it’s not covered by our warranty.

@byline

I hope they performed a proper diagnosis, versus making a quick guess, based on the fault code

I HIGHLY advise you to insist they verify the repair

That means

Replace the part
Clear the code
Drive the car until the evap monitor runs to completion

Some guys don’t do this, and then the check engine light comes on a few days later, with the exact same code

It’s hard for me to know exactly what they did, though I was told they did a point-by-point Ford test to determine the cause. I will take your advice on what they need to do when they replace the part. Thanks!

Another question: The fuel economy on our 2012 Fusion SEL has been a little underwhelming. The EPA-rated MPG is 23 city/33 highway, but we’ve never reached 33. I do a lot of in-town driving, but even on stretches where we do more highway driving, the best we’ve been able to manage is 29 MPG. We keep our tires properly inflated and do other routine maintenance. Would a small evap leak affect fuel efficiency? I tend to think not, but figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

@byline
Going To The EPA’s Fuel Economy Website, You Should Be Able To View Rated MPG And What Other 2012 Fusion Owners Are Reporting For MPG. Estimated Percentage Of City And Highway Driving Is Also Reported.
You should be able to ascertain whether your mileage is normal.
CSA