Check engine codes on my Pontiac Vibe 2009

Hello, I never had a single problem with that great car, now at 164,000 km, but got my first check engine warnings last friday, with the VSC OFF flashing, as well as the stabilitrak and check engine signals being lit. The car was still running fine, so I disconnected the battery this weekend and erased the codes. But this morning (2 days only later), the warnings are back. I went to a local garage and they retrieved the following codes: P043F, PO43E, P2402, P2419, P2401 and P2402. What do I do with this? Is there something urgent to fix? I’m gonna trail my pop-up for a long ride soon (I leave on June 27). I guess I should address these codes before? Thanks a lot for any help.

Do you fill your gas tank until the nozzle clicks or do you keep trying to pump more gas after the first click? While this could be many things it is my best guess, based on the history with Toyotas (which this car kind of is), that it is a charcoal canister that has gone bad. This typically happens when people “top off” their tank when fueling. The dealer will likely want $600 to $800 to replace it (assuming it is the problem) but you can likely get it done elsewhere for less.

^ +1

Like he said, Toyota has a Tech Service Bulletin for replacement of charcoal canisters when those codes come up:

My sources also have one confirmed fix with those exact codes of the Leak Detection Pump connector.

Well, I had since 6½ years and almost always continue fueling after the first click. Is this this habit that lead to these codes in the long run?

Looks like it could be that charcoal canister, but also the leak detection pump connector as well? How can I be sure which one it is?

Would used parts be OK, or I should go and get brand new ones? Can a local shop perform this repair or I’d need to go to GM (I don’t think Toyota will want to repair my Vibe)?

Thanks.

Yes, fueling after the first click will eventually ruin the charcoal canister, so that’s likely your problem. Stop doing that.

A good mechanic should be able to do a correct diagnosis according to the following process:

They will need to use a scan tool that can turn the vacuum pump on and off.

Possible causes:
Bad wiring connection to the vacuum pump
Plugged filter
Canister filled with fuel
Bad vacuum pump

No, a used canister could have the same problem. If diagnosis shows a bad canister, get a new one. Depending on your engine, the part will cost around $200 if you buy it yourself. Labor will vary depending on who you go to.

Most important thing is to have it diagnosed correctly. Make sure whoever you take it to will diagnose it and not just throw parts at it.

The VSC issue with the Vibe/matrix has been discussed on other forums.
The problem always seems to be a corroded connector on one of the rear wheel speed sensors.

Could also be the rear wheel sensor? Wow, that’s a fifth possibility… Me can see the cash that I’ll spend to pay the labor to find what’s really the problem… :frowning:

No, you don’t understand. There are two separate problems. One with the VSC/Stabilitrak, which could be a corroded connector as circuitsmith said.

The other problem you have is with the evaporative emissions system, which set the “check engine” light and gave all those codes.

The two problems are unrelated even though they may have appeared around the same time.

" I guess I should address these codes before [I leave]?"

I would, if possible. While these aren’t “mission critical” components, with the light always on you won’t be able to see if new codes pop up on your trip. Until fixed, be mindful that with a wheel sensor problem you may not have ABS and emergency stopping will take extra skill.

So, if I understand well, I’ll have at least 2 parts to change (VSC-related and emissions-related)? I’ll be the lucky one with the $1,000 bill including labor… Shit… Good timing, just before a vacation… In anyways, thanks all for your input.

How is the 2009 Pontiac Vibe rated by Consumer Reports in their used car reliability guide? You might can get some idea what problems to expect in the future by taking a look at what other owners have been reporting.

The VSC light is always on when the check engine light is on, but usually not flashing. There could be an ABS malfunction but the problem may be just PCM fault. The typical fault that I see in the ABS module is “Engine control malfunction”.

The VSC light in this case is to warn you that the stability control is disabled.

Well, the codes came back yesterday. I’ll go to a local Toyota dealer next Wednesday. I trust Toyota more than GM to find the problem quickly. Now, hopefully it won’t cost me an arm and a leg…

The car was at the Toyota dealer today. They found it’s the canister that is faulty, but there is also a modification (fix) to make. I have to go back tomorrow as they had to order the canister from GM, Toyota wasn’t able to get it before 2 weeks and I need the car ready for Friday…

Total cost of the repair including diagnostic and local taxes (15%): $1324.00

Ouch… This sucks bad. I tried to find the canister locally from other sources and it’s even more expensive than from the dealers (more than $500)…

About the fix, my car is 6-years old, with 164,000 km and I just had the canister problem a couple weeks ago. The cost of that fix is more than $300 including labor. I just called another local place (which specializes in repairing Toyota and other Japanese makes) and asked about that fix, the guy said they never do the fix to their customers. They just change the canister and they never had a customer come back with the same problem later.

Do you think I could just have the canister changed and forget about the fix, while saving a good amount of cash?

Anyone knows if GM also do that modification? Is it really necessary?

I’m thinking of letting it go and have a new attitude at the pump as well, never continue fueling after the “click”…

Thanks for any input…

What “fix” are you talking about? The Toyota TSB says only to replace the canister. It doesn’t mention any other fix.

Without knowing what fix you mean, it probably couldn’t hurt to just replace the canister and see if that does the trick. If not you can always go back later for the other “fix,” whatever that is.

The 2009 Matrix has a bulletin (T-SB-0200-11 Rev 1) for water getting into the canister however I didn’t find a similar bulletin for the Vibe. I expect they have the same problem.

“Some 2009 – 2011 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles may exhibit a MIL “ON” condition with the
DTCs P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, and P2419. This can be caused by water or debris entry into
the evaporative control system through the fresh air inlet. To address this condition, the fuel pipe
protector has been updated to help prevent water intrusion into the fuel filler pipe cover.”

I think the fix addresses this: “the fuel pipe protector has been updated to help prevent water intrusion into the fuel filler pipe cover”. They talked about having to change some pipe(s) or hoses or something. Where is located that “fresh air inlet” BTW?

BTW, it seems there is no problem at all regarding the “VSC OFF” flashing thing. Looks like the check engine only triggered them.

The vent hose for the canister should follow the fuel tank filler pipe up to the fuel door. It is attached to the plastic housing that holds the top of the filler pipe in place.