Cheap fix for headliner fabric separating at rear window?

On my '98 Prizm, the fabric is pulling away in some spots where it meets the rear window. I tried clear duct tape, but it didn’t stick for long. It’s not worth it to me to replace the entire headliner. Any suggested fixes for the fish-mouth sags? See attached photos. Thanks!

We covered (sic) this issue only last week. See:

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2278698/headliner-coming-loose.-any-ideas#Item_15

I used standard office staples and glue to fix that problem in my car. It’s kind of a hack way to repair it, but if you already tried using duct tape…

First, I stapled the fabric in place, and then I applied some glue with a brush on top of the fabric.

It is a 98 Prisim, just rip the headliner out.

I think that’s a bad idea. That material under the fabric will let loose airborne particles that might not be good to inhale, and you don’t want those particles getting in your eyes. This material provides insulation from heat, cold, and noise.

Thanks, Steve and Whitey! Contact cement followed by household stapler worked. No more flapping fabric when windows are rolled down!

I use the staple and glue trick too. It works well. If you want it to look cool get some fabric buttons and glue them over the staples. I did this in diamond pattern. Looked even better when the fabric came lose between the buttons.

What is the purpose of the headliner? Just remove it and be done.

"Whitey July 22 Report
I think that’s a bad idea. That material under the fabric will let loose airborne particles that might not be good to inhale, and you don’t want those particles getting in your eyes. This material provides insulation from heat, cold, and noise.
"

Sadly, that’s all wrong. You can safely ignore it.

Upholstery screws work well and cost next to nothing. My daughter used them to hold up the sagging headliner in her Prizm. They don’t look “factory,” but they work.

piter_devries: Sadly, that’s all wrong. You can safely ignore it.

No, Whitey is right. I’ve seen what happens when someone rips the fabric off an old headliner. Particles fly everywhere, and the next time you drive the car with the windows open, more dust flies everywhere.

If you want to test your assumption, rip the headliner (the fabric and the backing) out of your car, and you will notice everything gets louder, and you will feel, on a hot sunny day, the heat radiating from the metal roof.

Sadly, that’s all wrong. You can safely ignore it.

Whitey is 100% correct. I don’t know where you’re getting your misinformation piter!!