Changing the wire harness and spark plugs

Hi,

I would like to give the above a try, but I am a newby at car maintenance. I change the oil regularly, but have never attempted this type of work before. It looks like there are a lot of things that would have to be moved out of the way to get at the rear 3 spark plugs, and since I have to go on a long trip soon, I wonder if it is a good idea to try this, and if so, where I would get instructions. The job retails for $300.

You’ll get the instructions from a Haynes Repair manual from the local bookstore. I recommend never doing anything new without first review the procedure. I never do. The manual will tell you what tools you need, as well as handy tips.

NOTE: the manual will probably recommend a torque wrench to install the spark plugs. We debate the need for this amongst ourselves, but I believe in its use especially for a newbie. If you strip the plug threads out, your job will get much bigger very fast.

Pay the $300.00, plugs and wires on a V-6 mini van is nothing to learn on. Start out with a 4cyl small pickup till you develope your skills. This is a job for skilled labor.

Changing the wire harness is not at all for the faint of heart. It requires much disassembly of the car.
Changing the spark plug wires, on the other hand, is not that difficult (assuming that your engine has plug wires, many don’t).

Nice catch. I missed that one. Only a very foolish newbie would attempt to replace a wiring harness. My eyes saw “wiring harness” and my brain saw “spark plug wires”.

I really think the OP did mean the plug wires and just refered to them as a “wire harness” because he is new. The OP made no statements that indicated he planned on changing any of the cars “wire harnesses”.

It was a joke. I guess it didn’t work if I have to point that out…