Changing coils on truck (F-150)

Is changing the coils on my F-150 a job that I can do myself (trying to save some money), or is this something that I should have a mechanic do? Where can I find a manual or a “how to video” to do this myself if recommended?

I don’t know this truck, specifically, (and you don’t give a year, so how could I) but changing coils is often easier than washing the windows. Go to Autozone’s website register an email address, plug in the truck’s info. They have some basic, bare bones repair manual stuff online for free. You can likely get a look at it there.

You can also get a Chilton’s or Haynes manual at an auto parts store for about $20. Also pretty bare bones, but very useful for many things.

It depends on which engine you have. Some of them require part of the manifold be removed to change out one bank of coils. Others are very easy to change coils and plugs on.

You should always replace the Plugs when you replace the coils. Problems with the plugs may have killed the coils.

If you can see all 8 coils then it is an easy job. Usually removing one (sometimes 2) bolts that secure the coil, then unhooking the electrical connector. The coil will lift off and down in the hold you’ll see the top of the spark plug. Remove and replace the plug with a new one (put some antiseize goop on the threads of the new plug), then put the new coil on. Connect the connector and bolt the coil in place. Then do the next one, etc.

If you can’t see the coils you’ll have to remove some covers to access them. This is not hard, most of the time.

The trickiest part of the job is being sure to put the new plugs in without stripping the threads. If you hand tighten them before putting a wrench on the plug you shouldn’t have a problem. Next, is to be sure not to overtighten the new plugs, and a torque wrench helps here.

Many F-150s have V6s. It’s some of them that are difficult. All of the V8s should be easy. To add to the other comments, dielectric grease should be used on the coil boots to help make a water tight seal to the plug.

But many of those V6s have a coil pack. 10 minutes, a tube of grease, 4 bolts, and an 8 or 10mm socket. Poof.

It surely would be nice to know the year and engine - wouldn’t it?

If this was something like a home repair discussion site, I wonder how many people would post something like “I need a new roof. Can I do this myself?”…as if all roofs are the same.

Sorry for not being specific about the year and the engine. This is a 2001 King Ranch V8 5.4L

This is easiest with a 1/4" square drive ratchet, extension, swivel, and an 7mm socket. One bolt secures the coil. But the two coils in the back on the passenger side are a mother. And the #3 coil under the fuel pressure regulator is going to require some tricky handling to get the socket on that bolt. Even tho it looks like the coil is directly under the fuel rail, the coil boot is angled and will slide out under the rail.

Here’s part 1 of a 4 part video for changing the plugs on this truck. Removing and replacing the COPs is identical. As mentioned, you should replace the plugs when you do this, anyways. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51_oaTUFXfQ&feature=related

These coils are around $80 each…You just don’t change them for the fun of it…If you have a misfire, the CEL should come on and a quick check of the OBD-2 codes will reveal which coil(s) are bad…When you change these POS coils, you should always change the plugs…

Why do you want to change all eight coils? I can’t imagine that all eight of them are bad.