Change the Timing Belt Tensioner?

I am in the middle of changing my timing belt. I plan to change both the timing belt and the water pump (which is driven by the timing belt). Is it necessary to change the timing belt tensioner? It’s about $55 for the timing belt tensioner. My current timing belt tensioner is seemingly functional. I am not hesitant to spend money for the part if it’s necessary. I am trying to save money, however, without jeopardizing the functionality of my car.

I have a 1998 Honda Civic DX.

I also drive a 1998 Honda Civic DX, and I get a new belt tensioner with each timing belt. My mechanic buys the whole kit that comes with everything you need, including the tensioner.

The tensioner should be changed. The tensioner bearing can be perfectly functional and may feel smooth as silk up to a certain point. At some point the hardened metal in the bearing starts to disentegrate and when this happens things can go downhill in a hurry.

If the car has in excess of 100k miles a tensioner would be a must in my opinion because these are interference fit engines; meaning if the belt snaps or a tensioner goes south the engine will suffer damage.