Challenger Intermittent No Start No Crank

I have a 2011 Challenger SXT with 74000 miles. It started with the car not starting due to a dead battery. I replaced the battery, but continued to have the issue. Twice, the car has started when I slammed the door while trying to start it, but that doesn’t work consistently. Each time I started it like that, it threw an error code, both in the area of the relays/TIPM. I then replaced the starting relays and the TIPM, but it’s still a problem. I have sort of nailed down the pattern (seems to be after driving the car for 20+ minutes, it won’t start again for about an hour and a half), but the chance of the car not starting is still very low even following this pattern. The biggest problem is the dealer has yet to actually reproduce the problem. Any advice y’all might have as to what the problem might be, tests to try when it’s not starting, or just something to try other than leaving it at the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you have a bad connection to power somewhere between the battery and the ignition switch. I first suggest you clean the battery terminals, even if they look okay. If that doesn’t help then check for power getting to the main panel under the hood. Use a test light probe to verify power is getting to that point.

@coleamorgan

“It started with the car not starting due to a dead battery. I replaced the battery, but continued to have the issue. Twice, the car has started when I slammed the door while trying to start it, but that doesn’t work consistently.”

Dead battery and failing to start, then slamming the door, and it starts… does not fit with my definition of “Dead Battery.” A dead battery will not start the car under any conditions.

Did the dealer mention anything about re-flashing the WIN (wireless ignition module)? Dodge Technical Service Bulletin 08-024-11 REV. A was written to help technicians with some 2011 Model-Year cars, including some 2011 Challengers with Intermittent no start/
** Intermittent RKE function** . Did they check (VIN) to see if your car is on the list?

Or… how about this? Are you the car’s original owner? Some 2011 Challengers needed to have their Smart Glass switches replaced because they caused unintended continuous Smart Glass operation that would deplete the battery. Chrysler sent owners a CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION M24 letter.

I’d call a dealer and have them run the VIN (vehicle identification number) to see if your car falls under the guidelines for these actions or if they were already performed.
CSA

1 Like

@Cougar I’ll clean the terminals, and next time it happens, I will check the main panel power. Thanks.

@common_sense_answer The slamming the door to start came after I replaced the battery. Every time it has failed to start, I’ve checked the battery voltage, and it’s always been around 12.6V(other than the first time), which I think rules out the Smart Glass thing. I will definitely ask about the bulletin, although I’ve had no RKE problems at all, just the no start.