Cause of sudden lack of excelleration

I have a 98 Honda Civic with approx. 130,000 miles on it. This past week, I noticed that it’s running a little louder than normal, then suddenly today, I was driving along, the sound changed, and I noticed that the car stopped excellerating when I pressed on the gas.

What is this normally a sign of? I want to have some idea of what to expect when I get the mechanic to look at it tomorrow. Thanks.

How do you “excellerate” ? I suggest checking the hydrocilator and/or the muffler bearings.

I think it is safe to assume that the poster means “accelerating”.

Well yes, I was just being facetious :slight_smile:

Okay, you got me…lol. That would explain why I couldn’t find anything when I googled it.

So, what could it be? Or was muffler a serious answer? :slight_smile:

Nah, it’s definitely the radio bearing grease!

So it had a loud exhaust sound, or was it something up in the engine compartment? The first could be a hole in the muffler, the second could be a lot of things. How did the sound “change”? Louder, softer, gone away, different pitch? Any change in sound when you press on the accelerator and nothing happens? Does the engine rev up at all? Automatic or stick shift? Does the sound/noise have any correlation with your road speed, or just the engine speed? With a lot more information, we may be able to help you out here.

Thanks MrPhil,
I’d say it was coming more from the engine compartment. The sound is like a rumbling, and it got louder just before I lost the acceleration. When I press down on the accelerator the loudness increases. I have an automatic, and it kinda reminds of the sound it makes when I’ve accidentally put it in 2nd or 3rd but was driving faster than they allowed. If I had to guess, I’d say that it’s trying to automatically switch into a higher gear but is not able to. I’m not sure of the answer to your road speed/engine speed question. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sounds like it could be the transmission slipping, but that’s just a wild guess. Do you have a tachometer? (the thing that shows your RPMs :slight_smile: If so, what does it show when you get this extra loudness?

No tachometer, unfortunately. I thought it might be the transmission as well, but dreading that thought, because then I’ll have to decide if it’s worth putting the money into it or buy a new car…ugh.

I doubt a transmission for a 98 Civic would be too crazy, but yeah…let’s hope I’m wrong. Let us know what the mechanic says today, people here will be able to give you further advice then as well.

The mechanic won’t be picking it up until tomorrow. I’ll give an update when I hear from him. A friend of mine that works in the service department of a Honda dealership estimated $1,500-$1,800 for a new transmission. Cheaper than a new car, but then have to consider what else might go wrong due to its age/mileage. Though, it’s been a very reliable car to this point, so I should think positively :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

Did it get a lot louder? Maybe the oxygen sensor came out? Good luck!

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but my mechanic just finally diagnosed it (he’s cheap & good, but works by himself, so it takes him awhile). He said it’s a hole in the muffler. So much for my hearing, thinking it was coming from the engine compartment…lol.

So, Mr. Phil was right! Thanks for your assistance!