Catalyst Drive cycle

Dose anyone know the drive cycle to the catalyst converter for a 2001 camry 2.2L 4 cyl. I’ve been driving this thing for 2 weeks now and the only item to reset in the catalyst monitor. I changed the VSV for EGR and took the + terminal off for a while.

Huh?

A catalytic converter should last the life of the vehicle, but I’m not sure I understand the post.

Start the engine and allow it to come up to operating temperature.

Drive the vehicle @ 43-56 MPH for 3 minutes or more and stop the vehicle and allow it to idle for 2 minutes.

Drive the vehicle @ 43-56 MPH for 3 minutes or more and stop the vehicle and let it idle for 2 minutes. Turn the ignition off.

Start the engine, and operate the vehicle @ 43-56 MPH for 3 minutes or more and stop the vehicle and let it it idle for 2 minutes.

Drive the vehicle @ 43-56 MPH for 3 minutes or more and stop the vehicle and let it idle for 2 minutes.

That’s it.

I advise anyone who is working on todays computerized vehicles where the battery must be disconnected to perform a service to get one of these http://www.redhillsupply.com/KAS295A.htm. You just connect a 9 volt battery and plug it into the cigarette lighter. Now every computer memory will saved along with any radio presets. And you won’t have to go through this headache.

Tester

That isn’t going to eliminate the need in this case, is it? He fixed a problem and needed to reset the codes. Whether you do that by disconnecting the battery or erasing them with a scan tool, all of the monitors get reset and will not be set ready until you meet the drive cycle criteria. Or did I miss something???

Tester

Thanks Tester.
I’m going to try this. Is this specific to the camry or is this procedure general? That’s a very cool tool you mention there with a 9V battery!!

???How does that address the issue???

I advise anyone who is working on todays computerized vehicles where the battery must be disconnected to perform a service to get one of these http://www…AS295A.htm. You just connect a 9 volt battery and plug it into the cigarette lighter. Now every computer memory will saved along with any radio presets. And you won’t have to go through this headache.

Using this “battery saver” will not help preserve the readiness monitors when you need to clear code(s) after a repair. If you can point out something that can preserve the readiness monitors while clearing codes, I’d really be interested in seeing it.

What I’m saying is, if you must do a repair where the battery must be disconnected, such as replacing a starter, using a back-up power supply will prevent all modules from shutting down. In some GM vehicles, if some modules shut down they never awaken again, and the module must be replaced.

It is true that it won’t preserve readiness monitors when clearing codes. But after doing a repair that envolves a Check Engine light, one should avoid clearing any codes with a scanner if possible. Instead the vehicle should driven after the repair to allow the engine management system to turn off the Check Engine light. Doing this preserves the readiness monitors.

Tester

Yes. That drive cycle is specific to your Camry.

Tester

Thanks Tester
Driving at 50 mph for about 10 miles and ideling for 2 min then driving another 5 miles at 50 mph did it. I passed inspection. Now I just have to mount the VSV for EGF back on. I can’t reach its mounting area.