Cash For Unintended Consequences Program ? (2009 Revisited)

Keith, I don’t think we got anything for it at all except the bill.

But that doesn’t let the FBI off the hook.

I guess its a good deal if you are in the business of gold plating cars and making 30" rims.

Well, it’s kind of hard to fault actions being taken at the time to try and deal with a big economic problem. I’m probably in the middle politically but I want things that work period and don’t care if its Repub or Dem. I agreed with the auto bailout and the cash for clunkers program at least was an attempt to stimulate the market a little when car sales were terrible.

leave it to the feds though to complicate what could have been a simple program and to try and make an economic program into an environmental one. Never never never mix program purposes or you’ll end up with crud (like mixing different colors of paint and you’ll get mud brown).
My work car at the time as an 89 Riviera with 500K miles on it. It did not qualify because the mileage was too good. Sheesh. Shoulda just been any car older than . . .

When we are being so critical though, let’s remember how absolutely dire things were back then especially for capital items where demand is elastic-like cars.

@RodKnox My 1976 Granada had the most “trips to garage” per 100,000 miles of any car I’ve ever owned.

Stuff broke on this car that does not break on other cars. Such as both back leaf springs, air injection system (rusted out), turn signal stalk (just brushed it with my knee), and the life expectancy of heater core, drive belts, and many other parts was substantially shorter than on other cars I’ve owned.

Certainly not one of Ford’s “Better Ideas”.

However, the bucket seats were comfortable and my wife liked the power of the 351 V8.

@ Docnic, The Granada was just another Ford but we all know what F.O.R.D. stands for, right. But 20+ years ago a customer wanted to dump one and I took it and straightened out a laundry list of miscellaneous problems and drove it for months until another customer totaled his pickup and was in a financial bind until the insurance was settled so he went slumming and bought the Granada for $1,000 and by the time the insurance settled he was accustomed to the Granada and continued to drive it for 200,000 more, nearly trouble free miles. Nearing 300,000 total miles the engine began burning oil at the rate of a 1qt/500 miles and I insisted on junking it and he gave it away. That car got me a lot of referrals.

" . . . but we all know what F.O.R.D. stands for, right.[?] "

Fix Or Repair Daily
Failed On Race Day
Found On Road, Dead

Did I miss any ?

CSA

First On Race Day, @CSA.