Carburetor MPG device ignored?

In the $4.00 gas tread one poster laments about “people ignoring the amazingly practical and afforadable “retro-fits” of ultra fine atomizing fuel pump jets/nozzels that multiplied your gas mileage by several times” Any truth about these jets?

This is the same post that Brazil is selling “pure ethanol” from surgar cane “(zero oil)”. Now all you guys have been posting there is no special kind of ethanol from surgar cane. Is this OP mistaken?

Sorry, minor changes to jets will not increase mileage ‘by several times’. No can do. And there’s clear agreement that sugar cane ethanol is no different than corn-based ethanol.

I think I remember seeing a pile of them next to the dumpster behind the Honda dealer after they did the recalls on all those CRX’s in the mid-80s.

Fuel pumps do not have jets. Injectors have jets.

Changing injectors will not help gas mileage. The theory that how much surface area is in direct contact with oxygen per volume of fuel determines how thorough the combustion will be and how much of it will be effectively used by occuring at the top of the power stroke is valid theory. However, using high pressure sprays from injectors rather than low pressure difference carburators combined with putting the injectors in the intake ports directly behind the intake valves so the mist is as fine as possible when it enters the cylinders has already been incorporated into the car. It’s even timed on multiport systems to enter at exactly the right time, and its results are monitored by the oxygen sensor. The extremely low amount of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream are testament to the system’s effectiveness.

The feds, via the CAFE requirements, penalize manufacturers who don’t maintain a specific efficiency. The marketplace penalizes them even more. They costantly test new ideas and theories to maximize their fuel efficiency. There are billions of dollars at stake. They’ve developed sophisticated computer models to determine the optimum injectors for the design goals of the engines. If they could improve gas mileage by “several times”…or even a little bit…by simply changing the jets and still have the engine perform adequately, they would.

Also, spray pattern is critical to engine efficiency and performance. It needs to be correct for the specific engine. Replace a proper jet with some aftermarket jet with a different spray pattern and you will adversely affect gas mileage and performance.

In short, this is just more “snake oil” being sold with a “twist” on a valid theory.

The best way to improve your gas mileage is to reprogram your thinking. Rename your gas pedal your “gas mileage pedal”. You’ll get the idea.

Okay guys, before you point it out, I just realized that the heading said “carburator”. And I wrote about fuel injection. I’m gonna leave my post there because I like the theory explanations.

I’ll change my answer to the original question to simply “improved gas mileage has already been achieved with ultra fine atomizing fuel jets. They’re called ‘injectors’”.

Got to get these bifocals fixed!

You know I think it is bogus also just the carburetor version of “water for gas” but the post appeared 2 times in the $4.00 for gas thread and no one said anything,so I had to ask. Say have you heard of stimulating the gas molecule with RF energy…just kidding,I know about the "fuel pump jet"thing,I just wanted to quote the OP correctly,thats what he posted

Yup, I have. As a matter of fact I installed nuclear reactor in my trunk to bombard the molecules with RF. After I installed it, my youngest suddenly grew a foot in one week…out of his forehead!

Everyone wants better mileage. Wishful thinking is in high gear and the scammers are out in force.

No there is no magic pill.

The answer to the ethanol questions is clear and simple and has been explained in the Brazil post.

I’m going to address the sugar cane and pure ethanol part of this question. No, there is no difference in ethanol derived from sugar cane or corn or whatever. It’s all ethanol. The difference is that Brazil, for a time, required that cars be able to run on 100% ethanol. I think they have backed off that requirement in recent years. In the US we generally run 10% ethanol mixed with gasoline, and some flex-fuel vehicles are set up to run on (I think) 85% ethanol mixed with gasoline. So, no the ethanol from sugar cane is not “special”, it’s just that in Brazil you can fuel up on 100% ethanol with no admixture of gasoline.

Guys I am not trying to beat this thing up: But what do you think Wikipedia means when it says “sugarcane ethanol has a energy balance 7 times greater than ethanol produced from corn”? Most likely the term I am not getting is “energy balance”. Maybe it relates to the energy it recieves from the sun and then is able to give up in the form of ethanol.Why the OP listed “no oil” in his discription I have no idea.Could he mean no gasoline when he says “no oil”?

I understand that the main reason for E-85 instead of E-100 is for easy cold weather starting. Indy cars and alcohol dragsters that use 100% alcohol usually have someone squirting a shot of gasoline into the injectors while it’s being cranked up.

Wikipedia has some credibility problems. Kids in Scotland got a batch of bad grades because the research they did based on Wikipedia was just plain wrong.http://news.scotsman.com/education/Falling-exam--passes-blamed.4209408.jp I’m not slamming Wikipedia. It is a great resource. But, being an ‘open source’ encyclopedia, in which anyone can post information, confirmed or not, it is simply a starting point, not an end-all, be-all. Maybe a year or two ago, the comedian Sinbad was given an obituary on Wikipedia. Of course they quickly fixed it when he let them know he was, indeed, alive.

By the way, I think by ‘energy balance’, they mean the amount of energy to produce the ethanol versus the energy available in the ethanol. Sugar cane is cheaper and easier to convert, but I don’t think the ‘7 times’ is an accurate number. Corn is harder to convert, and some say it takes more energy overall to produce ethanol from corn than you get from the finished product. But sugar cane can only be grown in a few southern states. Corn can be grow in almost every state.

Brazil is using 100% ethanol made from sugar cane. While everyone seems to be applauding this, they are burning up the Amazon jungle to grow sugar cane.

The only thing special about sugar cane alcohol is that it makes very good rum! (which is traditionaly made from sugar cane) Alcohol will actually give you much worse mileage than gasoline if your car can stomach it in its pure form. There is no snake-oil retrofit device that you can add to your existing car to get more than perhaps marginally better mileage.