Caravan manual sliding doors

My daughter has just gotten a 2013 Caravan with manual sliding side doors. On the left door when you pull the handle, the door does not easily pull out. But once it’s pulled out, it slides nicely along the track to open. I’m afraid the door handle will break eventually if I don’t take care of it eventually. The right hand door does this too, but not as bad. She bought the van this fall in warmer weather, and it wasn’t a problem. It started when it got cold. It doesn’t feel like a physical obstruction. It’s more like a suction. Is there supposed to be some kind of spring assist to help push the door outward enough to the sliding position? I’ve owned Caravans and Town and Countrys for 18 years, but they had power side doors

The rubber molding seals may be sticking to the door, tree sap etc, I would start there and make sure both the door surface is clean as well as the rubber…

1 Like

I used to use silicone spray on all the door moldings or Syl-glyde a[[lied with a rag in the wimter when I owned one of these. Tailgate too.

2 Likes

+1 to both @davesmopar and @oldtimer-11 responses. I would clean them first with a cloth moistened with Simple Green or a similar solvent then spray the silicone lube on it. See if that helps.

1 Like

Some manufacturers specifically say not to use products containing silicone. I suggest using 303 Protectant instead.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll get to see her again this weekend. I’ll clean them seals good. I think you guys are on the right track. It felt like suction rather than mechanical. I’ll check it out then and let you know.

1 Like

Daughter came over today. I had found some “Gunk” cleaner in a spray can laying around in garage. It said safe for all surfaces. I thoroughly cleaned every seal and area the seal contacts… this made a remarkable difference. The doors can be opened without excessive force. There still is a slight resistance to start the left side door, but nothing to worry about yet. There doesn’t appear to be a way to adjust these doors, so if it gets worse then rollers can be replaced. Thanks for the tips.

4 Likes

You can get a good spray oil type lubricant and oil those rollers and even any moving hinges and this makes a huge differeence , used to do it all the time on ours .