Car Wont crank

Hello,

My 2001 Pontiac Grand Am gt wont start. Turning the key gets no crank. Also there is no power that seems to be in the car at all. Nothing on instrument panel. Battery is good and all Ignition fusses are good. Big Fan of Car talk so figured maybe before I spend my last few dollars the answers may come here.

Thanks

How do you know the battery is good?

You may be having a security system issue. Try another key.

Also try putting the transmission in neutral and starting from there.

Check all of the battery and starter connections and make sure they are tight and clean. If they are, it’s probably the ignition switch.

I checked battery with volt meter. If it was security issue wouldn’t it give me a security light on the instrument panel? I get nothing.

I tried to put it in neutral but it was locked. I wiggled it a bit and all the sudden I was able to get power and start the car! Lucky me I was able to get the windows up and move it out of the way =). Good news there but now its hard to start. Seems like it has to crank a long time and doesn’t always stay running, may have to crank it 2-3 times before it runs good. After I get it running it runs good tho or at least seems, didn’t get to test drive it yet.

Thanks very much for help

I checked battery with volt meter. If it was security issue wouldn’t it give me a security light on the instrument panel? I get nothing.

I tried to put it in neutral but it was locked. I wiggled it a bit and all the sudden I was able to get power and start the car! Lucky me I was able to get the windows up and move it out of the way =). Good news there but now its hard to start. Seems like it has to crank a long time and doesn’t always stay running, may have to crank it 2-3 times before it runs good. After I get it running it runs good tho or at least seems, didn’t get to test drive it yet.

Thanks very much for help