Car steering is not returning to center

last monday i had an accident with my fiat punto grande 2013 , the suspension triangle was the only part i replaced so it was nothing serious , but after taking the car out of the shop i realised that the steering wheel does not return to centre after i turn it , i have to manually have to turn it back the rest of the way. It makes for some odd feeling driving… and still i can’t found were the issue is coming from , please help

You need a front end alignment shop to check all the front wheel alignment specs.

2 Likes

A tie rod may be bent but any change where suspension parts are located will cause this. Minor frame bending also.

1 Like

Sounds like the rack and pinion steering gear may have been damaged. Put the car back on the lift, disconnect both outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckles and observe the amount of drag from the steering wheel when turning and from each wheel while turning them by hand.

I once had a really HOT case of Fiat Punto Grande…it was so embarrassing and lasted almost an entire month before it cleared up.

Oh wait…

2 Likes

A change in diet will prevent a recurrence. ( I’m having a vision of @cdaquila frowning at both of us right now)

2 Likes

The caster of the front suspension is what causes the steering wheel to return to center.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-steering-wheel-returned-to-center-automatically-after-turning-a-corner

Tester

A damaged strut or strut mount will also cause this. You need this car examined by a good front end shop.

@old_mopar_guy LOL… She definitely may have frowned but I think she smiled because, that, my man, was funny. I don’t care where you hail from.

1 Like

You replaced one part. That does not mean that other parts are not damaged. Suspension components can get tweaked to one degree or the other and it will not be noticeable to the naked eye. Needs to go on an alignment rack for starters. If the caster is way off then something else is bent and hopefully not a strut tower or subframe.

1 Like