Car not accelerating over 95 anymore

The TV stations here really hammered that story about the Vette driver in OK. What was really bad about this incident is that the 2 places the guy was doing this (Kilpatrick Turnpike and Broadway Extension) are in the metro proper and are heavily traveled.

Traffic and accidents are bad enough, especially on the Extension, without idiots like that contributing to it.

I don’t condone going over 95 on pulib roads. But i occasionally do so when passing. So I won’t lecture you. 125-130 on public roads, and racing on public roads, are bothe insane. There’s absolutely no excuse for this.

Technically, I think hwertz may be right. One of the effects that can happen when overrevving your engine is “floating the valves”. The engine is simply turning too fast for the valves to fully close, or at least to close at the proper point in the cycle. This can, and likely will, manifest itself as a burned valve or two. The way to test for this is with a vacuum gage. A burned valve won’t seal properly and will indicate as an unsteady vacuum reading at idle.

Beyond that, this isn;t one that anyone can diagnose over the internet. Yes, a bad injector, a bad fuel regulator, a partially clogged cat converter, a bad sensor, or some other thing may be the cause. But you’ll need someone with the tools and time to diagnose and/or hands-on eliminate these possibilities.

Now, please, for the sake of the lives of my children, slow down on public roads. Save the high speeds and racing for the track.

Poodle Shooter,

I did read the entire thread.
I do get the idea that the kid wants to drive at high speeds on public roads, in traffic.
I also don’t believe that it was needed for you to hunt him down on the internet and provide all the information that you did.

But I do agree with you that I don’t feel like helping him realize why his car isn’t going faster than 95. If he’s too dense to realize what he’s doing wrong, or how the vehicle is programmed to run in certain transmission selections, then he’s not going to get any help from me.

How many other people on here do you dig up all their information and post it about them when the mood suits you? That’s what I’m concerned with.

BC.

LOL>…lots of sillyness going on here. Yes going too fast in a congested area is totally nuts…In th emiddle of a stretch of desolate desert road? Go ahead…its only you that is in danger.

WHat was the guy in OK driving AT 195MPH??? The only weapon I have that will come near or exceed that velocity has Two Wheels…My username is a clue…

Back to your issue…it could have been many things limiting your top speed… Temperature too high put your ecu in a sort of limp mode or something like that? Maybe if you shut the car off and back on resetting the ecu wouldve helped…not really enuf data to go on here. As far as speeding, just dont endanger others and no one will bother you…

According to the article it was a 1000+ HP 'Vette with a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Not knowing a lot about cars, my top of the head answer was of course the Corvette, but, ummm, Mountainbike?

ONE THOUSAND HORSEPOWER? Really?

Yup, at least according to the article.

That’s no longer unbelieveable. The Bugatti Veyron SuperSport has 1200 HP. The Hennessey Venom has 1200 HP, which allegedly can be tweaked to 1400 by adjusting the turbo bleeders.

There’re a few folks out there modifying cars to 1000 HP now.

My Mom. (I’m under 16.)

Not wanting to help someone make their car once again capable of letting them drive like a moron and endanger everyone who shares the road with him is not a political correctness issue, it’s one of common sense.

I have no problem with cars that can go fast. I have no problem with people driving their cars fast, as long as they do it where it is appropriate to do so - on a race track. You’re setting up a false premise that because Brandon can’t handle a fast car with maturity, we’re advocating that no one should get their hands on a fast car.

You know that’s not true. Don’t sensationalize the issue.

BTW, regarding the gun analogy, it’s a good one. If a guy walks into a gun shop and says “Hey I need you to fix this gun so that I can use it to shoot my neighbor” the shopkeeper can be charged with accessory-to-murder if he fixes the gun and the guy goes and shoots his neighbor.

I don’t think the cops are going to come looking for any of the people here who are trying to help Brandon do 100mph down the freeway, but the simple fact is that Brandon is asking us to help him fix his car because he wants to do 100mph down the freeway. Anyone who helped him is therefore OK with Brandon doing 100mph down the freeway, and must face up to the consequence that some of us aren’t going to like it.

This isn’t some street-racer punkboard. It’s a car repair site. It’s reputation for stressing automotive safety is well-established. I’ve been blasted pretty hotly for saying I run all-season tires in the winter, and no one is going to make the argument that doing that is as dangerous as blasting down the highway at 100. Anyone who comes on here expecting people to condone such displays of reckless speed is, frankly, an idiot.

“Hey Hitler, you lost something”
“Vat?”
“World War 2! lol”
“FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!”

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/b3c7a2fd-390a-47f9-a4ec-016bf5020fe2.jpg
http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/12b899a7-736c-440e-bde8-6e707262ee66.jpg