Car in repair shop for 13 months

ketannous1024_183911: I feel your pain. My 2016 Accord Coupe was in an accident on August 31, 2022. I’m writing this on April 7, 2023. The car has been completely repaired and still sits in the Honda dealer’s shop waiting for the same part…Seatbelt SRS. They won’t/can’t release it until they have a new Honda part installed. I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, elected representatives, Texas DOT, Attorney General’s office. Bottom line is it will take a civil court action which I am told won’t get the part any sooner. I have called the Honda consumer line…800-999-1009 as the months pass by and promises to get us the part have been broken. If your shop has ordered this part, you can find out where you are on the waiting list by calling them. I suggest you, and anyone else with this issue, call them to complain. This is not the Dealer’s fault, or his body shop’s fault. They will have liability if they install a remanufactured or other part from a wrecked car. This is all on Honda. We are not alone. There are thousands of people across the country waiting for parts for Hondas and other cars. I know a guy who has waited months for Audi parts. We either need a class action suit, help from Congress, or another aftermarket company that can supply an acceptable part. My car only has 32,000 miles on it. A declaration of a totaled car just loses money for me. So, we wait. Ideas welcome.

Just my two cents but what you need is a waiver of liability to hold everyone else harmless for maybe a temporary part. So yeah maybe that is Congress. So let’s remember for many many years we drove without seat belts or air bags.

Sue Honda of North America for misfeasance, malfeasance, and nonfeasance. Make the bstrds pay!

In the way of misery loves company, my own Corolla has been forced off the road for 3+ years by Calif politicians , parked-up unused for the entire Covid-era to date. It’s also a safety issue, the possibility of an elderly person (me) contracting Covid as part of emissions testing; but in my case I’m the one who’s concerned. No end in sight, Covid cases & deaths seems to have let up enough for me to take the risk, so asked for registration paperwork, no reply. No worries btw, I just drive the truck instead.

Well you have to do what you have to do. Once in a while I’ll see someone driving alone with a mask on. I saw a video on people returning to work and it showed a woman working at home on her computer with a mask on. My wife orders test kits in bulk. When she lost her taste for a day she called her doctor 1500 miles away, but it passed without medication. My bil headed close to the Canadian border and all three o& them got it. So stay away from Canada. In church one couple still wears a mask. Had to take it off for communion though. I’ve been trouble free fir three years though with no great efforts except not kissing strangers. I’m type o though. Now along comes bird and dog flu. May jump to humans. At the clinic masks are required yet. My dentist had to take his off so I could understand what he was saying. So whatever you do, there will be company for years to come. I’m not about to tell someone else what to do. No opinions, just facts.

Then along comes the dock strike to make delivery worse.

Everyone has their own susceptibility & their own Covid-risk formula. I witness what appears to me to be over-concerns, especially people driving alone in their car wearing a mask. The same person, day after day, driving alone, wearing a mask. I’ve never worn a mask when driving my vehicles, when alone. Maybe these mask-wearing drivers are concerned about someone who was in the car before. I witness what appear to be under-concerns as well. All public buildings in this area required masks for the entire Covid duration, until just recently , but most of the people in those buildings didn’t wear a mask. I presume the rule wasn’t enforced b/c the enforcers thought it might offend someone & cause a violent reaction, worse than the possible Covid risk.

Early on, initial Covid stages. someone living a few blocks away walked up to me in my driveway, wanting to chit chat about my classic truck. I said I’d be happy to talk to him, but he first had to put his mask on. He had a mask under his chin, not wearing it. He got very offended & upset, said “I’m not sick! Are you?” I had to tell him to go away since he refused to comply with my mask request. That’s an unusual situation, most people are happy to put their masks on if they approach me and want to talk. If they don’t have a mask I’ll give them one of my new ones.

The lady next door is immune challenged. She stays 15 feet away. I can’t understand a word she says though at that distance so I just nod. The worst part is the poor kids are now conditioned. They’ll never have a dirt ball fight, roam in the woods, shoot a bow and arrow or any of the other stuff kids used to do every day.

Couldn’t agree more. Adults, especially geezers, are able to make Covid-risk accommodations pretty easily (unless placed in unsafe situations by gov’t regulations) , but kids? Not so easy to do for them.

More often a misinterpretation of regulations. A local watering hole we go to would not let us walk up to the outside bar to order, had to be sitting at a table (no tables available, we were waiting for one) and order drinks from a waitress. But we could order from the inside bar, then bring the drinks outside.

As far as government facilities, the clinic I use finally stopped requiring masks, nut the SSA office still does.

What regulations?

6 foot intervals? Maybe George wanted the proverbial 10 foot pole interval.

1 Like

Here in Calif, geezers were required to take their cars to the emissions testing shops. In some situations that wasn’t safe, in particular when the geezer’s car was pre-OBD II. Those cars are tested by the emissions testing staff getting in the car and driving it on a car-treadmill. The tester is inside the car driving it for about 20 minutes. Then the owner is supposed to get inside the car and drive it away? A Covid unsafe practice, especially for high-Covid-risk individuals. Consider the DMV’s testing restrictions at the time, no in-car driving tests allowed. High risk individual’s requirement (prior to Covid) for in-person eyesight testing to renew driver’s license, waived due to Covid risk.

I heard they were supposed to follow the examiner or visa versa. My 6-6 deputy would have loved being able to stretch his legs.

So those are state/local regulations. Getting Covid from surface contact has been proven to be very very unlikely. So I wouldn’t consider the OBD-II test regulation to be that unsafe. And there are precautions that the staff and owner could have taken. While I do agree that the eye-site testing should be done. I’d like to know of any stats supporting that accidents were caused because of the limited time frame. Not sure why CA would drop the requirement. NH didn’t. MA didn’t.

If you roll all the windows down and ask that the doors be left open, then it seems to me the tech sitting in the car is essentially outdoors. If you explain the situation before getting the test done, they may well be willing to go along with your request. Call ahead and ask a supervisor if this is feasible.

1 Like

According to Stanford Medical School and Johns Hopkins Med, the rate of Community Transmission of Covid is now “low” in all of CA, just as it is for most of The US. While it’s not impossible to contract Covid at this point, the risk is pretty low, and you could greatly increase your chances of staying safe simply by wearing an N95 mask when you go for that emissions test.

Take a look at this site, and bookmark it for future reference:

No dispute. I concur that as of the last couple of months the Covid risk is within acceptable limits for a treadmill emissions test, even for those in the high risk group of 65+. I actually wrote a letter to the Calif DMV office 2 months ago asking they send me the paperwork to proceed to re-classify my Corolla to active status. Nada. Not a word. Still no reply. No worries, truck is continuing to do the Corolla’s prior job. Corolla is getting a well-deserved rest.

My '13 Mustang has gotten little use over the last few months. The transmission output shaft speed sensor has been intermittant. The result is the speedometer stops working, a code is set and the transmission stays in 5th gear. That sensor and 3 others are molded into a part that carries all the electrical connections into the trans.

My local Ford dealer has a long list of customers waiting for this part. Not even Dorman has this part. My trans shop would not install the Dorman part even if is was available. So after waiting several months, I bought a valve body assembly that includes the part for $350 over tne cost of the part alone.

I suspect the sensor is a hall effect chip and that is what is in short supply. It stinks but sadly this seems to be the new normal.

1 Like

A manual trans would fix that.

Maybe what you need is a 50 year old truck? … lol …