Car has very loud engine noise / exhaust pipe issue? muffler issue?

My car recently started making a loud engine noise when I drive it or start the engine, even when I am idling. It sounds like a sports car. Usually it revs and idles quietly.

I took it to the dealer and they said I had a crack in the exhaust pipe. They said I would need a whole new exhaust pipe assembly and 2 exhaust gaskets.

I don’t know how big the crack is.

Do I really need a whole new exhaust pipe assembly? Is this something that can be repaired with a weld? What do you recommend and what experiences have you had with this?

What kind of cost would a repair be?

Different people are going to jump different directions on problems like this. I am guessing an exhaust pipe on a Lexus is going to be expensive, right?

Yet, anything to do with the exhaust system can involve carbon monoxide entering the car, which is really ungood. I tend to jump the direction which says bit the bullet and fix the exhaust system correctly for your safety. Others may disagree.

I have an RX300 that had both studs break that hold the O2 sensor (under driver seat) to exhaust pipe. This leave a 1" “hole” that will make a bunch of noise. Easy to fix with 2 U-clamps, and some high temp gasket material. Dealer only wants to replace the cat. You’ll have to to find a local repair shop to do this.

There is a reason your pipe failed so just “patching” it will be a temporary fix at best. Get the exhaust system properly repaired. You and your passengers will be much safer in the wintertime when your windows are all closed. Carbon monoxide is a very bad thing.