Car Failure Right After Unrelated Repair

I had a check engine light recently (discussed in another thread) for a minor evap leak, and the guy replaced the cannister purge valve. I needed a state inspection, so I left it at the place, and they said they’d drive it around to get the monitors ready, and then do the state inspection.

However, when the guy took it out, he said something seemed off, so he turned around and went back to the shop. The car died before he made it back and now won’t turn over (tries to start).

Talked to the mechanic today and he said there’s a short somewhere. When the fuse for the blower is in place, the blower is on full blast, even though the switch for the blower is off. He’s trying to find the problem.

I asked him if replacing the cannister purge valve could have caused this, and he said no; that it’s in an entirely different system. However, it seems a bit of a coincidence that right after they worked on it, this problem happened.

Am interested in any feedback. Does it seem that his changing the cannister purge valve could have caused the current electrical problem, whatever it may be? Or could this be just a really big coincidence?

Thanks!

2003 Dodge Caravan SE
105K miles

On a nearly 20 year old vehicle, anything could happen.

By “blower” I assume you mean the blower motor for the HVAC system? If so, yeah, the EVAP and HVAC systems are totally separate.

I’m curious what the mechanic meant when he said “something seemed off”. What was that “something” I wonder?

1 Like

Coincidental failure on a 20 year old vehicle. Sounds like a TIPM failure.

2 Likes

Yes. The blower blowing air into the cabin.

I don’t know. The manager just conveyed to me what happened. I don’t know who it was who drove it or what happened, just that he went a little bit and returned.

Thanks! That’s helpful.

Thanks! That’s helpful.

1 Like

On my olds, the bower relay failed so it would be on all the time whether the car was on or not. That was Gm, not Chrysler so don’t know. But if the battery was discharged, that could cause a stall.

Thanks. No, the blower wasn’t on when the car was off, only when it was on. But the switch for the blower was off.

Well, good news. Just called the place and they said the car is running! They didn’t call me with a price to fix it, so I assume it was something simple. The manager was gone, so I don’t know what exactly the problem was, but I’ll call back tomorrow and find out.

1 Like