Car door lock is not working

I would agree with @Tester in almost every case for a sticking lock, but not in this case. @thefinisher1985_185383 says is key is stuck and will not turn. A dry lube will not penetrate, he will need a liquid. I do know the downside of a wet lube and penetrating oil, but this is mostly a Hail Mary anyways because when the key wont turn, it is usually due to a broken tumbler and no lube of any kind will work.

For the OP, I’d start with a new battery in the FOB and work from there. Also the door lock is purely mechanical, the FOB operates a module that electronically unlocks the door. A new battery will allow the doors to be opened by pushing the open button on the FOB. Replacing the door lock cylinder will allow manual entry into the vehicle.

Also @thefinisher1985_185383 do you know that pushing the open button twice in a row will unlock all the doors? If you try that and all the doors except the drivers door unlock, then the issue is probably not the lock cylinder itself but something in the linkage. If this is the case, you would be better off taking it to a mechanic for repair.

1 Like

I use dry graphite powder to lubricate all the door locks n my home.
A couple of times I didn’t get around to it until the locks were frozen. I sprayed the lube into the lock and eventually the handle turned. After opening the door I sprayed into the latch bolt and then it began to move easily.

I’m not a big fan of graphite. Maybe it works but I used to have to mix up a paste with alcohol to get it to stick on the axles of pinewood cars. I couldn’t ever find the stuff @VDCdriver recommended, but I have been using pbblaster dry lube and seems to work good. It is a spray with a tube to stick in the lock but not sticky.

Don’t you have a lock/unlock button on the door? No need for a working fob to test the actuator. Just use the button and go from there.

1 Like

Ok so im thinking I’m gonna look into the fob battery tomorrow I been busy these past few days. I don’t have. I actually was able to use my fob the first time I got it replaced then it just stopped working and one mechanic told me after he fixed my car it’s probably the battery even the light on the fob don’t light up anymore. I think the key place gave me a bad battery or something. And honestly if I can just fix the the fob it’s all I need. I could be wrong but I have to check but I think when I’m in my car and I hit the unlock button on the side everything opens except the driver door. But I know for sure when I push the driver side lock on the top part of the driver door near the window everything locks except the back driver side door which is really weird also.

@NYBo yeah on the inside but I need to get in from the outside

No I’ve tried the pencil thing a while back

20 minute job but probably not cheap, or do you mean that I can change it myself?

Did you watch the video Tester posted?
This video shows how to remove the door panel.

Do you plan to do a lot of work on your own cars in the future?
If not, it might be worthwhile to have a shop do the work. A new lock cylinder comes with new keys, new door key will no longer match trunk and ignition, just keep that in mind.
You continue to refer to your fob in the singular, I urge you to get a second fob and have it programmed to your car, likewise if you only have one ignition key (I think the anti theft chip is in the key) have a second key made and programmed, any locksmith can do that.
As far as your current fob, battery replacement is usually easy, but for convenience I go to Batteries Plus.

Not really I typically have a mechanic I know who’s good but dude is rarely ever free so I would take it to the shop mostly which is starting to get expensive. Maybe I’m tripping but it feels with my car I’m spending 300-400 every 3 months with my car cause something keeps happening. And I’m gonna call and see how much a battery is today but I know every place I called for a new key fob is anywhere from 200+ to around 300 and I really don’t want to spend that much people saying I can just get the battery for hella cheap guess I’ll find out today. I’ll be doing some shopping around.

A). Is your fob integrated with the key or separate?
B). What will you do if you lose the key/fob?

Replaced integrated fob/key for a 2007 Camry, got two keys, around $325 at a locksmith. As I recall, had to wait a week for the locksmith to get the correct blanks.

Yes, you have a twenty year old car. Maintenance and repairs can be costly, yet still cost less than making payments on a new car.

Yes my key is integrated with fob. If I lose it I’ll be shit out of luck for the moment. But why are people saying I can get a battery for a few bucks?

Because a fob battery is inexpensive. You can do that yourself. A two pack of batteries is less than $6.00.
If you want someone to replace it for you, probably around $5-10.00.
Not to sound mean, but has been a week since your first post. Takes less than 10 minutes to change your fob battery.

2 Likes

Not an unexpected repair/maintenance expense for a 21 year old car. One of the posters here is a dealership mechanic and says they routinely submit vehicle repair invoices to customers for $10K+ . Unless you want to tool-up and begin doing your own car repair as a diy’er, my advise is the solution to this recent Jumbler newspaper puzzle:

His car broke down again, and this time …

__ __ space “__ __ __ __” space __ __ __ __ space __ __ space __ __

300-400 every month would be a very cheap vehicle new or newer used car note, 300-400 every 3 months is wayyyyy cheaper then a new or newer used car note…
Now if the car is costing you money (other then repairs) by not being able to perform your job correctly, meaning you need it for your job, not just driving to/from work, then it might be time for an upgrade… Plus ins might/will be higher with a newer vehicle…

Nothing is cheap these days. Greed, you know…
And you DEFINITELY can do it yourself - search on youtube, there are instructional videos on virtually everything.

I believe that if you take your FOB to Autozone, Advanced Auto, O’rielly’s or other chain auto parts store, you pay for a package of batteries and they will install the battery for you. If you have two FOBs, they will show you how on the first and then you will be able to do the other yourself.

The batteries at the auto parts store cost a little more than Walmart, but you get better service.

Edit: I just watched @Tester’s video. That is the exact same FOB that Subaru uses. You may have to go to a place like batteries+ or a speciality shop for that particular battery and it will be more expensive. I pay about $7 at Walmart but you have to go to the jewelry counter for the battery. That is not a common battery. You could try the auto parts store.

Except first you go stand in line at customer service to have someone paged to go to the jewelry dept.

1 Like

I’ve seen this done for customers at some auto parts stores. The job seems to take quite a bit of the store staff’s time and can cause customers waiting in line to get a little upset. Auto parts store owners imo shouldn’t allow their staff to replace fob batteries if any customers were waiting for assistance.

1 Like

It’s been an unusual summer but I spent $1500 for a timing belt, $1200 for new tires, $600 for fluid and other work on another car and more I don’t remember. $300-400 a month would be nice. Either trade, pay the price of admission,or take the bus or bike I guess. Don’t mean to be impatient but life is expensive. Time for a new roof?