Car doesn't go uphills

My car has 109000 miles and we live in SD. Recently the car just won’t go uphills - the engine revs up, but the speed doesn’t get above 40-45 miles per hour. Once at the top of the hill, the car just takes off and drives normally until the next hil! What could be the problem. Thanks for the help - we love your show!!

Manual transmission? If yes, the clutch is slipping. Perhaps time for a new clutch.

Auto transmission? If yes, the trans is slipping.

In either case, it seems like your car needs to visit a mechanic.

It’s an automatic - thank you!!

Sounds like the transmission is slipping…

How often did have the transmission fluid replaced???

I really don’t know because I have only taken it to Volvo for mileage check ups, last one was 105,000 mile checkup - cost 1100.00, so you’d think they’d really check everything!

Simply checking fluids is not sufficient.
Even if the level and color of the fluid are normal, vital additives in the fluid are depleted by 30k miles, and this takes its toll on a transmission. It is necessary to change the fluid periodically in order to have fluid with the proper amount of additives present, so that the trans can continue to function properly for the long term.

When automatic trans fluid is not changed every 3 yrs/30k miles (whichever comes first), trans failure can take place anytime after ~90k miles, and is pretty much of a sure thing by 120k miles.

Unfortunately, if–as I suspect–this transmission has not had its fluid changed on the schedule noted above, you are right on schedule for trans failure.