Car computer questions and garmin nuvi gps

Recently, my car would not start, The battery was dead, Triple A got me started, and I took it to mechanic. He said something was wrong with my car’s computer and told me to take it to the dealer. The dealer could not find what the problem was but the car ran fine after his diagnostic test.

My wife’s car which is parked next to mine also had computer problems the next day. Her dealer hooked her car up to his computer - saw some error messages - but ultimately could not figure out what had made engine warning lights go on. After her car’s diagnosis, her car ran well.

After several weeks when I tried to unlock my car, the electronic car door opener jammed, and I opened the driver’s door manually with my key.

The only thing connecting all these events is that I used my new Garmin NUVI GPS device on the day before. Once on the day befoe the first meltdown, and again the day before the second event.

Is this my imagination or could these events be caused by the GPS? If so, is my GPS just a lemon , or am I doing something wrong?

I think it is just coincedence. If everything is working fine now, try it again and see what happens. GPS is made to be used anywhere and they are not that powerful to upset like that.

The GPS system should turn off when you shut the car off. Does it do that? There still could be a problem with the unit if it does turn off with the ignition. I assume there is a constant power source going to the GPS unit for memory and if so that could be a problem area. Testing would prove if it is or not.

Talk about guesswork! “Car” covers a lot of ground. Awfully general but not The General. There isn’t a way to prove that the GPS is hurting anything without leaving it disconnected forever and having the car work forever. Not going to happen. I wlll however take this opportunity to mention that the GPS navigation system is the CB radio of the new Baloneyum. Or is it the MP3 player of the new Z+ generation (baby boomer in second childhood/postlife crisis)? Science may never know and history may never forgive us. Do we believe in global gadgetry?

I sure would help if we knew what make model year and condition car is involved. It would be even better if we knew what codes the dealer found Her dealer hooked her car up to his computer - saw some error messages - but ultimately could not figure out what had made engine warning lights go on. What made the warring lights go on were explained by the error codes, but what the first cause was likely not specifically pointed out by the error codes, but they likely would make finding out what a lot easier.

You should have the codes read again, but this time not by the Dealer, unless it is under warranty. Some auto parts stores will read them for free, try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Bring them back here and post them. The actual codes should be in the format of (P0123)

If you leave that Garmin plugged in when the car is off and it is connected to a power source that is on even with the car off, it could kill the battery, but I am thinking it was not the problem. BTW that auto parts store will likely also be willing to check the battery and charging system for you as well.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

If for some reason it turns out to be the computer (and I think that this is not the problem) remember the computer is part of the emissions control system and is covered by the Federally mandated extended warranty. Your owners manual will give you the details.