Car comic

Funny.

The cars should be facing each other. A drag race is depicted. Maybe Divine should be driving the other car.

Reminds me of the day I picked up my new Trans Am in Wichita Kansas. Some college kids in a Mustang pulled up next to me at a stoplight and proceeded to let me know that they had an engine under the hood. When the light changed…I smoked the tires up to the next light. They pulled up next to me and they all looked straight ahead. I was a drag racer before I joined the Air Force and I just couldn’t resist.

When I was a teen, I was at a traffic light in my Mom’s 1964 Cadillac with the 429 ci torque monster engine. An MGB GT pulled up next to me and revved the engine. When the light changed, I let him roar off and then I nailed it. In the half mile or so to the next light, I pulled ahead, backed off to let him get a car length ahead, then blew him away. The astonished occupants of that MG wondered what I had under the hood at that next light.

I learned to be calm from my dad who was more of a hot head. I remember we had just gotten our 54 Ford, V8, straight stick and took a trip to Duluth. At a stop light on the outskirts of town a kid next to us seemed to think he had a hot car but we smoked him. I’m sure we were up to 60 in second gear before reason took over. Can’t remember what the kid had if it was a Ford or Chev but it was 49-51 model anyway. I was never interested in drag racing and thought it was a little immature, even at 6 years old.

"Can't remember what the kid had if it was a Ford or Chev but it was 49-51 model anyway."

It was probably a Ford or a Mercury.
Chevys of that era–even with modifications–would have hard a hard time passing a farm tractor.

I never got involved with contests of speed on the streets, which is why I don’t have any stories of spending nights in jail to tell the young folks.

I never got involved with contests of speed on the streets, which is why I don't have any stories of spending nights in jail to tell the young folks.

And now they have TV shows on it promoting it…but many people don’t realize it’s totally staged for TV.

MikeInNH: Like every other “reality” show. I will never understand the attraction.

I work with a guy that hears street racing near his home. Every so often a driver or some spectators are injured or die. The races still go on.

When we were young my BIL had a 58 Desoto and his buddy had a 54 Desoto. I was with him when they decided to see which was faster. Raced right by the cemetery but the 54 was in the on-coming lane at least. No cars, no problem but the 58 won.

I enjoyed this, being formerly blonde, faded to white!

Had a high school bud, 6 cyl duster, Plymouth lover he was all proud he “blew off a 440 duster” we are like really we should respect a car company that makes the same car with a 440 engine and it can be beaten by a 225 6 cyl? HA HA

I never got caught. Back in my day we were more interested in longer point to point races than drags.