Car book for beginners

I’m just wondering - is there a book out there, say something like “Car Parts for Dummies” that just explains the parts of a car, what each does, what happens when they break, etc. (i.e. something that will help one have less of a glazed-eye expression when their mechanic is talking about coils, etc.)?

Yes, there is. It’s called “Car Repair for Dummies.” Seriously. It’s by Deanna Sclar (I think that’s the right spelling) and should be available at any book store.

The Reader’s Digest published a book called “Simple Car Care & Repair”. I bought it in 1999 for my son, and it may still be in print. It has large colored diagrams on how cars work, as well as siple repairs and service. If you can’t buy it, they probalby have it in you local library.

One can buy almost any book used online. Google for it.

Car Talk by Tom and Ray Magliozzi. Found mine at Borders.

Amazon.com listing for the book

Auto Repair For Dummies (Paperback)
by Deanna Sclar (Author) “If you’re not particularly mechanically inclined, you may watch those who are with admiration and amazement - and exasperation because they have something you don’t:…” (more)
Key Phrases: rust arrestor, thermostatic spring choke, metal master cylinder, Keeping Your Car, Specifications Record, Yellow Pages (more…)
Price: $14.95 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details