Car battery drains so easily, and I have a interlock, need advice

I’ve had my car for 3ish years and always had a issue with the battery dying in it.
Replaced it, exchanged, you name it multiple times over the years.
I cant afford to get a new one.
Just spent the money getting a interlock put in not knowing anything about interlocks because I needed to get it.
To find out interlock pull power from your battery.
Someone told me instand of paying the money to
Get a new car, have to get the interlock took out, and reinstalled which would cost me more then I even have.
To get a trickle charger.
But I don’t have access to a outlet plug in to do that.

So my ask for advice,
Do I get a solar trickle charger?
Or do I pay to get the interlock out.
And just deal with no car till im able to get a new car that can handle it?
Because I don’t want to be spending 1,000s of dollars on a situation that I can’t seem to escape,
So i what to know what you guys best advice I should do that not gonna cost me a lot.

What is an interlock?

If your battery is dying overnight you have what is known as a parasitic drain. If the car has any aftermarket stuff on it like a stereo, subs, remote start, dashcam or alarm, unplug, pull fuse or disconnect each one at a time until the battery doesn’t die.

If you just don’t drive it enough to keep the battery charged, a solar panel on the dash plugged into an always on power port will help.

5 Likes

Is the interlock due to DUI?

you can get a battery master switch installed so that you can easily disconnect the battery each night.

or, get the parasitic draw repaired.

1 Like

If you are legally required to have that interlock . . . for whatever reason, and I don’t want to know . . . you are most likely headed for even bigger problems if you remove it

Do newer cars respond well to disconnected batteries? Like daily repeats?
It seems run ok after it’s jumped. Daily.

Suggest to pay a shop for a parasitic battery drain test. I expect the fee will be less than $250. Then report the results here for more ideas.I’m not sure what an “interlock” is either. If you are legally required to have the interlock, and you can prove it is what is causing the battery drain, I expect you have a valid complaint against whoever is requiring you to have it. IMO that would become their problem, and they should pay to fix it.

there’s an aftermarket gadget that makes it easy for the car owner to disconnect the battery. That could be called an "interlock’ i suppose. For better help here, suggest to clarify, and to post the car’s make/model/year/engine/transmission configuration.