Car alarm keeps going off in garage help please

Hi everyone,

My cars have been going off in my garage since January of 2023 and I have no clue what is going on. It started with my 2017 Honda pilot Touring AWD then my 2017 Hyundai sonata. I later traded my 2017 Honda pilot for a 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL. Next thing I know within 3 days the alarm starts going off in that car. I went back to the dealership and traded the Santa Fe for a 2021 Nissan Rogue SV AWD. Same thing happens within 4 days this time. I go back to the dealership and traded it for another 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL/premium package AWD. The same thing happens again. I am so stomped on this. I cleaned the hood latch on my Sonata and even replaced it. I used electrical cleaner to clean the door sensors and hood latch with no luck. I also tried inserting the key in the keyhole locking it and unlocking it. My house can’t be haunted because I had it built in 2021. If anyone has had this problem please I would appreciate the help.

Thank you

Do you keep your fob in your pocket at home? If so, it’s very likely that you’re accidentally setting off the panic alarm.

3 Likes

Kind of sounds like a covert harassment or gas lighting situation where someone is doing it intentionally but making everything appear to be an accident or equipment malfunction or user error. Is there any reason why someone would try to pick on you?

Of course the simple answers like accidentally pushing the panic button on the key fob need to be ruled out.

2 Likes

No, as soon as I get home I put on the key rack.

That is also what I suspect but I keep to myself in the neighborhood. I heard it can be the microwave that sets it off or the garage opener. I placed foil on my microwave and the garage opener and the car still goes off.

You’ll need to buy some radio equipment that is tuned to the frequency that the keyless entry / panic button uses. Then you can monitor where the signal is coming from.

Otherwise you might be able to pull the fuse on the keyless entry to stop the panic button from working. It would be a good test to see if it’s being done wirelessly using the key fob interface. Whoever is doing this is somehow able to obtain the keyless entry codes that the dealer has access to, or they are able to add new key fobs to your car, and is also able to obtain keys to enter your vehicle. This is assuming they’re doing it wirelessly with the panic button.

Might look in to an older or less computerised car.

This is a stretch, but do you see a ham radio antenna on any nearby houses? Can you ask around the neighborhood to see if anyone is a ham? See:

If you’re really serious about tracking this down, perhaps setting up a software-defined radio to look for signals around 433 MHz might help.

1 Like

I think I might look into an older car with less electrical complexity as you suggested. I’m just so tired of this it will be my 5th car already.

No all I see are those dish antennas. That’s a good idea I didn’t even know they made those kind of softwares. I will look into it.

Neither a microwave nor garage door opener will trigger the keyless entry on any production car that isn’t ancient. They all use a digital code. It’s probably a one time use rotating code like all modern garage door openers use as well. This prevents a replay attack where someone captures the code and sends it again to unlock your car.

A key fob is more advanced than keyless entry as I assume it has bidirectional communication with the car. The car queries it and it responds. If not, then it would have to periodically transmit so that the ignition knows where the key fob is.

That is a true mystery. Please let us know your solution.
I think a vehicle in good condition without a factory alarm/panic system will be very hard to find.

1 Like

Well if you believe in hauntings, it could be the ground your house was built on… lol

Anyway, is there a time of day or night they are going off?? Are you awake or asleep when they go off??

Is anyone else in the neighborhood having the same issue??

1 Like

it’s such a sad state of affairs when even ghosts cannot afford newer homes…

you have had different car makes, and different years. Is there a possibility that someone in your own house is messing with you? Perhaps keep the fob in your pocket when you get home, or pick a hiding spot and not tell anyone?
maybe keep the key on the other end of the house from your car?
This is a stumper for sure!

5 Likes

The only thing I learned (the hard way) about the relationship between the car and the fob is that it’s important to keep the fob far away from the car when you aren’t using the car. While it seems silly, why don’t you try taking the battery out of the fobs? That eliminates them completely.

2 Likes

+1
I keep my key fobs in a Faraday Box, but if this problem has occurred for the OP with multiple vehicles of various makes, I don’t think that either distance or a Faraday box will remedy the situation.

1 Like

I don’t believe so, but my mom ife has been saying our house might be haunted. As you stated it could be the ground that it was built like a grave or something. My friend was also suggesting the same thing.

I agree, but by taking the batteries out of the fobs the whole thought of accidentally setting off the alarms by pressing the emergency button is eliminated.

I never set the alarm or even lock the doors with the car in my garage. The OP should do the same.

I just ordered a Faraday box off Amazon 2 days ago to see if it is the key fobs. I’ll let you know if it works or not.

I’ll have to try it out. I will get back to you on it. I did replace the battery on my Sonata but it went off still.

Just wrap them in foil and leave no gaps. Roll the ends up and have at least two layers. It works better. No need to wait 2 days.

2 Likes