Can't get to the battery in my Thunderbird

If you spend enough money, you can always buy a faster car. Dusters were $2500 new in 1974. The equivalent of about $13,500 now. The modern Mustang GT starts at over $35,000 base, and top end well over $60,000 - It is a great example, of comparing apples to oranges - it isn’t even close to being comparable to a 70’s era run of the mill car like the Duster.
$60K now is equivalent to $10k in 1974 - the most expensive American made car in 1974 was a Lincoln Continental Mark V at $9200 - even the Cadillac El Dorado convertible was only $8200 WITH the optional 8-track, and both were heavily discounted from list due to the gasoline crisis.
No one ever claimed there aren’t faster cars available, then and now - my point was the average car these days is no fun compared to the average car in years past. Even the old 1988 Chevy Cavalier that I had in college could dust my 2018 Equinox of today (but not hubby’s Cadillac CTS 4) - you get what you pay for.

Amen! I want to be comfortable and feel like I wouldn’t be going faster if I was pedaling it! These little birdcages on wheels are no fun for anyone.

1 Like

??? They’re both at about 8.8 seconds 0-60.

Which engine did you have in your Duster?

From what I can tell, a '74 Duster with the 360 would do 0-60 in about 8.2 seconds, not that much faster than your Equinox. It FELT a lot faster, with wheel spin, noise, all that. About 1% of all '74 Dusters came with the 360, all others were quite a bit slower.

8.2 seconds is common these days, many 4 cylinder cars will do better than that.

Maybe - but the Equinox would have to restart the engine first, and if that thing can do 0-60 in 18 seconds, much less 8.2, I would be very surprised. Yes, mine was the 360, four barrel carb and dual exhaust - but I didn’t burn rubber except by accident. I had to pay for tires.