Can't get to the battery in my Thunderbird

HELP ME! The battery in my 2002 Ford Thunderbird (a.k.a. the Thunderchick) is dead and the key won’t open the door. I can’t get to the battery in the trunk to charge it. Summer is finally here and I want my baby bird out of the nest and flying!

You need a locksmith. If you have roadside assistance, call and tell them you are locked out of your car.

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried that already - he couldn’t get in and suggested breaking the window. The window is $460 to replace. I’m almost thinking that a thin slit in the canvas top might be a lot cheaper and easier to deal with, but most of all, I’m hoping someone will have a way to hot jump the starter to get it running or a trick on how to get in without damaging anything. ,

From your Owners Manual

Capture

2 Likes

It seems like a web search for a ’ Pop a Lock ’ dealer would solve this if the person is in the US . Or as a last resort towed to the dealer.

Why not? What happens when you try?

1 Like

Problem is the OP can not open the doors. Whomever was sent by her roadside assistance provider could not open the doors either.
I think the OP needs a different locksmith.

1 Like

I hope we are talking “key”, and actual physical instead of a key fob. I cannot believe a manual key will not open a manual lock? Yeah different lock smith, dealer, or go down to the corner on 3rd street for a kid that knows how to get into cars. And I think tops are more expensive than windows to replace plus they can leak.

1 Like

“I cannot believe a manual key will not open a manual lock?”

I THINK that on my 2004 Camry the mechanical key in the door just turns a switch that tells a computer to unlock the door. (Two clicks tells the computer to unlock all four doors; one click in passenger door also opens all four.) No mechanical connection between the key/cylinder and the lock.

A neighbor had a similar problem with a slightly older Camry – dead battery; couldn’t open the doors to open the hood to get to the battery. I would have looked in the Owner’s Manual, but it was locked in the glove box.

I couldn’t believe it either. The locksmith though maybe the linkage in the door might be broken, or that it was electronic as well. The owner’s manual was no help whatsoever - I found one online. There is no lock cylinder for the passenger door or the trunk.

You have to be able to get in the car to use the trunk release, but it is locked, so not a solution for me even if I could get the door open.

Well if all true, there must be a way to get to a positive battery connection from under the car such as at the starter. The negative can be connected on any metal part. Charge the battery enough for the key function to work. If there is no way-seems like the first thing after getting this fixed is to add a positive post somewhere to attach a charger to.

1 Like

perhaps - but they all say they will go in through the window with risk of breakage - I would have thought that someone would be able to pop open the lock cylinder…

it can’t be towed in park…

Nothing - it turns but there is no click or any sound, and it doesn’t open.

Can’t tow in park - closest Pop-A-Lock is over 100 miles away

it can absolutely be towed in park.

I was told that it cannot safely be towed in park - plus it would be quite costly, and additional cost for the dealership consultation.

Exactly what I was thinking, I just don’t know how to do it or to explain it to a tow truck driver. Is there a specialty that might be a better choice? I would think I could jack it up and slide the ramps under it to make it safe to work under it - I just need to know how…and I can’t find a Youtube video…(I wish that was a joke, but it isn’t).

Yep - a real 2002 key, and I tried both of them, even changed the batteries in the remotes. Boat canvas repair places can fix a small slit without it leaking - I once had someone break into a convertible years ago. The canvas repair was amazing.