Can the air conditioner be TURNED OFF? 2013 Lexus RX350

@RobertGift

The smog inspector was just being nice

He didn’t really think it was “too new” . . . if it was “too new” to need a smog, he wouldn’t be doing it

Last time I had a car smogged, the smog inspector was complimenting the couple who brought in their 20 year old Altima to be smogged, even though it had bad tires and barely passed the test.

Are you the mechanic, emt, or some kind of volunteer . . . ?

please don’t tell me “you do it all” . . . because we’ve all heard that a few times too many :wink:

Yes, mechan-ic, EMT, voldumbteer.
Engine compartment looked brand new. I use cheap Goodwill wash cloths to get everything needlessly clean.
I use toilet paper sheets to clean oil cartridge plate, oil cartridge, inside of the dipstick tubend, around oil plug and oil plug, area around the 710 cap. (Listening to Car Talk in the garage allows this.)

@“Robert Gift” may not be loud dog just ear piercing bark yup yup, always enjoy how long your posts go on. Video of dog barking if desired.

since you used the term “mechan-ic” versus “mechanic” I’m going to assume you are an emt who does some maintenance, but that’s it

Mr. Gift, I wouldn’t worry too much about the fuel useage when the A/C compressor is engaged. The difference is negligible.
Modern compressors don’t bog the engine like they did in the old days of the 6 cylinder GM/Ford compressors and the V-Twin Chrysler compressors.

@ok4450

You thinking of the old A6 ac compressor . . . ?!

Or the old Yorks . . . ?!

Those Yorks are still used on some large commercial trucks. We have a few Macks in our fleet that use them

Yes, that’s the ones. Some older farm equipment (tractors, combines, etc) also use those old compressors but the engines have enough grunt to power them.
When dragging a 30 foot wide disc behind the tractor compressor operation isn’t going to mean much.

Have done engine rebuild, brake work (why always leftover parts?) replace alternators, waterpunps, radiators, sparkplugs, gas tank in old Ford Country Sedan Station wagon (all such gas tanks at the junk yard had the same seam putty patches), windshield replacement. (No more - windshields now reflect airbags.) Shocks, exhaust pipes/mufflers without concentrated orange juice cans. Freeze plug replacement, Crank angle sensor replacements, etc.

EMT expired like most of my patients. Now called a Worst Responder.

at least you’re honest :wink:

I wouldn't worry too much about the fuel useage when the A/C compressor is engaged. The difference is negligible.

Good to hear. But I’m so cheap I’d even want to save that over many miles.
There are lots of times when no air conditioning is needed but apparently it is either on or the heat is on.
One must go into the navigation system to turn it off. I’d like to connect to an unused switch in the lights/siren unit.

When using the “Auto” mode the compressor will operate even at 45F outside temperature, I prefer to switch off the compressor when it isn’t needed. When reaching summit passes on the highway the outside temperature can be 10-15 degrees cooler, air conditioning is unnecessary.

@Robert Gift

Please don’t tell me you’re the guy that would bring a hammer and chisel, if I expoxied a penny to the pavement, and pointed it out to you

I’ve actually seen guys go to drastic measures in an attempt to retrieve those pennies

:naughty:

You would not need to point it out to me!

If I had a chisel and on foot or my bicycle, I would!
I am part Scottish.

You know how the Grand Canyon was formed?
A Scottsman lost a penny in a ditch.

https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/The-end-all-verdict-to-A-C-vs-windows-down/1715-457041-563.aspx

At highway speeds best to use AC and keep the windows up. But like politics and religion everyone has an opinion that they hold to and won’t let go.

I prefer to use AC even if driving in local traffic, negligible difference in mileage, huge difference in comfort.

Vehicle aerodynamics are likely adversely affected by open windows. Best to use the air conditioner.
But I do not want it operating when fresh, cool outside air is fine.
No air conditioning when driving emergently with lights and siren imposing additional load on the engine through the alternator. Want be as gentle as possible on the vehicle. (When not on Interstates, I keep the driver window 1/2-inch open to detect other sirens.)

I drive with the windows up and my shirt on, despite popular belief I’m not really a redneck. There is no need to operate the compressor while driving on a 75F night in a dry climate.

^ Amazed how many drivers have their air conditioner running when it is nice and cool outside in the evening.

During summer months my fuel economy drops from 30 to 27 MPG due to A/C use, summers are hot here and this does affect fuel consumption. On the highway I have switched off the A/C compressor while climbing grades to reduce load in an effort to remain in 3rd or 4th gear, I’m a cheapskate.

In 2015, about 140.43 billion gallons (or about 3.34 billion barrels) of gasoline were consumed in the United States, a daily average of about 384.74 million gallons (or about 9.16 million barrels per day). This was about 1.5% less than the record high of about 390 million gallons per day (or about 9.29 million barrels per day) consumed in 2007.

If the U.S. fuel consumption was reduced by 1% this would only amount to 3.84 million gallons saved per day, not enough to become obsessed about.

BarkyDog wrote:

“Robert Gift did you even read my prior post how to turn ac off?”

Robert Gift wrote:

Sorry, Loudog. Did not see it. Will look. Thank you.

Robert:
What did you learn?

“Robert: What did you learn?”

Perhaps the more important question is…After reading all of his posts over the past couple of years, what have WE learned about the OP?

Hmmm…