Can I replace my exhaust? (serious rust, pics)

For some reason replacing exhaust parts isn’t that expensive. I mean compared to replacing other stuff like the water pump, even the MAF. Why? Besides the parts not costing that much, no idea. I guess if the shop is set up to do that job, and they have the parts on hand, it doesn’t take much time.

The independent muffler shop I use bends their own pipe on the spot. It’s not like they have to carry a lot of parts for individual cars.

The independent muffler shop I use bends their own pipe on the spot. It's not like they have to carry a lot of parts for individual cars

A lot of muffler shops use to do that…Even Midas. I don’t know why they don’t anymore.

Muff shops have stacks of new flanges. They just cut off the rusty crap that remains and weld on a new flange. The flange after cat is always wasted due to high exhaust temp.

I will change an engine or transmission before I go back to doing my own exhaust work. It is something you just can not save much money on, maybe $10 an hour if all goes well and it never does. Now, if you know what you are doing you can save $50-$100 an hour doing your own brakes and it is easy.

This is one of THOSE jobs.
( like me teaching my daughter to change the oil )
Once you KNOW how to do it yourself . .you ALSO immediately know that you DON’T want to do it yourself and you gladly pay someone their fair price to do it right.

( same as the tile in my shower stall . Yah, I COULD do it . .BUT… )

Tile is fun compared to exhaust pipes.