Can I mix wheel bearing grease?

I was at a parts store looking to buy a cartridge of wheel bearing grease. I don’t remember which brand, but on the back, it said not to mix different grease. I don’t remember the exact wording. I think I used Valvoline multi-purpose grease, which says I can use it to grease wheel bearings and suspension joints.

No one told me I can’t mix wheel bearing grease. I can understand that I can’t mix wheel bearing grease with white lithium grease, but if the label says it can be used as wheel bearing grease, wouldn’t they all be compatible?

Go to Bob is the Oil Guy.com/forums and ask your question there. Someone there will know the answer.

Shouldn’t be a problem as long are both acceptable to the application.

I would think that warning is Lawsuit inspired . I did see a chart on the web showing which types of grease can mix. But I would think any shop would just clean off the old grease and use what they normally use.

1 Like

Tester

2 Likes

My conclusion from that chart is to assume all different types are incompatible. But how easily can we determine which type of grease we have?

What are you trying to grease?? If you are packing wheel bearings, then clean all the old grease and be done with it… If you are greasing a tie rod end, not a high speed part, probably not going to hurt…

I will not pack wheel bearings with any old grease still in there even if it is from the same grease jug I used the last time… Old grease can be contaminated and mix with the new grease…

2 Likes

Yes. Of course. If I were repacking wheel bearings, I would make sure to push out all of the old grease. It just common sense to replace all the old grease with new grease.
But I will be putting more grease into tie rod ends and ball joints, where it would not be possible to replace old grease with the new. I am thinking I may be worrying over nothing. I mean, in my grease gun, I will only put in multi-purpose grease for suspension joints. I don’t think I have packed wheel bearings in the last few decades, but I can still find tie rod ends and other suspension parts with grease fittings.

Another thing for me to worry about🤪. I have this type of spindle on my boat trailer, no idea what grease it came with, using marine wheel bearing grease.

I think you may have been joking a little, but if you are worried, just take them apart and clean and repack the bearings, no different then just about any other tapered wheel bearing set up from the early 70’s on a US made car or light truck… Not throwing a blanket statement out there…

But those bearing buddy’s are nice…

1 Like

Yes, I was joking, not worried about using marine grease.

1 Like